Marantz PM 7200 Integrated Amplifier ??

Montigue231

Vintage Marantz sounds awesome with Klipsch.

A friend of mine has vintage and modern Marantz units with Klipsch and loves them both.

I've never heard that integrated personally but read good things. I almost bought the PM 7001 but went with a Cambridge Audio integrated instead. How much $$$ is it?

Looks like a Good deal on a Very Nice Integrated amp! I say go for it. But see if he'll take $300 for it. Do watch out for a guy who lives near I-5 and Florin Rd., he listed a Rotel integrated amp for $150 (I think) so I contacted him and he got really weird, so I backed out of the deal. His price was fluctuating and then he didn't know when he would be home. Then wanted to meet in the north area and changed his mind and.............I got far away from that deal.

Dennie

thanks for the reply neighbor! appreciate the heads up..This guy lives in Elk Grove, he seems very flexible as far as me doing a through inspection on the unit..He might even bring it over and let me hook it up...Wont budge off of 350 though. Its hard to find quality audio in sacramento..San jose San fran no problem..but this city is all best buy groupies.

thanks for the reply neighbor! appreciate the heads up..This guy lives in Elk Grove, he seems very flexible as far as me doing a through inspection on the unit..He might even bring it over and let me hook it up...Wont budge off of 350 though. Its hard to find quality audio in sacramento..San jose San fran no problem..but this city is all best buy groupies.

You welcome Neighbor! Sounds like he might be one of us and you may get a fine piece of gear. $350 is a fair price IMHO, if its in the shape he says its in. The picture looks good.

Every now and then, something really nice pops up on Craigslist. I have found some good deals and with the way the economy is, more and more are popping up, but they usually don't last long. But those are far and few between.

Good luck on the Marantz and let us know if you get it and what you think about it.

Dennie

yes indeed, If I end up purchasing this ill come back to this thread with my review on it. I had the Denon Optical A class amp 95X2. I miss the sound of that receiver. You can tell the difference in sound quality and detail With a A class amp. This one is alot newer than the Denon I had.

I have owned a Marantz PM7200 for 4+years and love it, but drive very efficient speakers, Khorns, La Scalas and Cornwalls. Recently replaced the Marantz with a McIntosh MA2275 integrated tube amp, so the Marantz is now driving my bedroom system, vintage Coral speakers with AlNiCo magnets, once again efficient speakers. I won't be selling it as this is a keeper.

The price on the link, in your posting, is a Canadian price. I believe that this unit sold for $499 or less in the USA. I believe that you should pay half, or less, of the MSRP for used electronics.

In class "A/B" the amp delivers 95 wpc. This is a great budget amp for the money, however the power may not be sufficient to drive your Epic speakers rated at 800 watts. Call the toll free line at D&M, Marantz, and ask them for advice.

I always ran the Marantz in class "A" mode, 25 wpc. Found the bass full and tight with my speakers. Highs are very detailed and separation is great. Reviews say that it should warm up for 20 minutes to achieve the full effect of class "A". I use a fan to keep it cool, as the transistors run "full on" in this mode. This amplifier has phono inputs, however the phono is not as full and rich as the phono section of my new amp. This amp also has A and B speaker switches. This is great if you have multiple sets of speakers. The remote control is basic; On/Off, Mute, Volume and Source are the only keys which operate the PM7200. This is similar to the remote for the McIntosh.

This unit is very popular in Europe, where 2 channel audio is still very popular.

Note: If you purchase this unit read the manual. The unit must be off to change the mode from class "A" to class "A/B". It is not recommended to drive 2 pair of speakers simultaneously, unless you are using 16 ohm speakers.

thanks rjrbass , thats alot of excellent information. Im a little skeptical whether or not this will be enough power to make my epics dance around nicely. Although the Denon 3805 im using seems to be working pretty good with them. Theres a difference of 25 watts there but im going to guess the Marantz has better perfomance at 95 watts than the Denons 120 watts.

Your abselutly right though, 75% of retail value is too much. He s got to come down to 300 or no deal. He does have the box remote manual all original packaging and receipt. Only paticular owners keep all those items...