Which JBL D130 for a khorn?

ab0ez

Greetings,

I bought a pair of khorns with blown woofers. I remember a website on upgrading khorns and they raved about using the JBL D130 woofer in place of the K33 woofer. For the life of me, I cannot remember or find that website. Does anybody know which JBL D130 (F, K, etc) they used or the website?

Thanks!

Jim, AB0EZ

That was Sound Practices, and they are wrong.

If you want to try a JBL, try a 2205, or an E145.

The E140 is similar to the 2205, but I would want to remove the aluminum dustcap and replace it with a fiber type.

The 130 series of drivers have too flimsy of a cone, and a very short cone travel.

The JBL folded corner horn used the 150-4C, the closest modern version is the E145.

Good morning DJK, and thanks for the reply. I was thinking of a different page and not the Sound Practices article. Somewhere I think I printed it out, but it must be in my highly scientific filing system somewhere.......

Jim, AB0EZ

You do not want to use the D130,,, Wrong free air resonence,,Use the early 2205 with Fs of 30hz,,The latter 2205 units were 40hz,,, The TAD 1601a is a copy of the early 2205 Fs lower than 30hz. but be prepared to spend big bucks. The D130 was suggested by Bruce Edger in another magazine,,He was wrong, Paul Klipsch tried the D130 himself and rejected it.

Thanks for the information Maron,

I got the pair of K's for $400, so spending some money on woofers isn't an issue. They were even upgraded with T-350 tweeters! The wood needs refinished, but both bass horns are done and I just need to refinish the top cabinets.