KW-120 Sub and KA1000 troubleshooting help needed

Scawt

Situation: KW-120 sub and KA1000 amp worked fine out of the box, after about a week, the KW-120 stopped working regardless of input cable from receiver, and thx setting. I also have a RW-8 and that works fine off the KA1000 rca outputs, so I'm guessing the amp is still good. Any thoughts on additional tests that I should do in order? Its hard to test the sub since the special sub wire can only connect to the matching amp. My receiver is a Pioneer SC-07

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry no one asked your question but it happens from time to time, I can't help either with your situation.

Since your comment reads as they are still new have you talked with the place you purchased from?

Have you trying contacting Klipsch customer service?

James

Also you might want to put a link to this in the "Subwoofer" section as you might get more hits there.

• Klipsch Employees

With the KA-1000 amp there are 2 modes of operation, THX and NON-THX mode.

With THX mode, the power light will be RED. In this mode the low pass filter and the level controls are disabled. The phase and boundary gain control as well as the auto on switch are not effected. The amp will require almost 3 volts of input to reach the max output.

Where the NON-THX mode is different is in the power light, filter and level. In this mode you retain control of all functions. The amp will ONLY require about 700mVolts to reach max output.

IF this amp has a downfall it would be the automatic turn on. Sometimes you have to hit it with a considerable amount of signal to "wake it up". I have had one for 4 years now and I never turn it off. If you want it to stop using the little amount of power it uses in idle then you will need to unplug it. When the automatic turn on puts the amp to "sleep" it does not disconnect the power from the wall. It disconnects the speaker lead, thus muting the speakers. Turning the big transformer on and off will take more power than leaving it on.

If you need more help, do call us. We will be glad to walk you through finding the problem and work with your dealer to solve any problem you may run into.

I will be surprised it the amp has a problem. In 4 years we have had less than 10 amps returned with a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Trey,

Thanks for the detailed info, sorry for the delay on my end, I've been trying to finish up the rest of the theater room (pics are on avs). I tried further troubleshooting and actually bought another KW-120 from an authorized dealer. I tried hooking that one up with the existing receiver, no luck. Tried the same combo with different RCAs, no luck. Since my rack also has the house receiver on it (Yamaha), I tried hooking the KA1000 to that and no luck either. I also tried using both modes, switching power options, leaving it on for a day, etc.. The KA1000 was purchased new this year too.

I will tell you my story (some have heard it already): a few years ago I bought a KW-120/KA-1000 system second hand, althought only a year old at the time. After a few months, the amp failed; lights on, etc. but no power to the speakers. Was willing to pay Klipsch to service it, but no service was available. They have no "warranty repair" department, so to speak. I was out of luck; no service, no advice, nothing, except sympathy from Michael Colter. To my good fortune, I opened the amp case, probed and fiddled with everything that was connected to the circuit board, and amazingly the amp worked again, and has since. Had it not come back to life, my only option would have been to take it to a local electronics repair shop, which today are scarcer than hen's teeth, not to mention of variable competence. Apparently, Klipsch will simply replace an amp that goes out under warranty with a new one.