horn dampening redux

Randy Bey

Well this is my final conclusion.

After listening to my Khorns w/o horn dampening for several weeks I was still a bit struck with the forwardness of the sound.

So I damped the tweeter horns ONLY, and left the squawker horn alone.

THIS I am happy with. Neither too forward or too laid back. Pure, sweet, clean.

I wonder at times if in my misspent youth I somehow damaged the tweeters to cause them to be a bit strident. I sometimes listened at volumes that shook the bricks, with a ... Sony .... 35 watt integrated. Even then I doubt that it was clipping, as the brick shaking took place around 2 or 4 watts RMS.

f>

freeking ubb

This message has been edited by Randy Bey on 02-19-2002 at 08:10 AM

still dampening randy?...I tried it and decided to take it all off about a month ago...let´em ring now, and lovin´ it! warm regards, tony

------------------

*1993 K-Horns w/ ALK x-overs*Marantz 7T preamp*Dynaco MkIV monoblocks (modded to triode)*Sony CDP-CX350 and CX-230 CD changers*MSB link DACIII (96k upsampling)*MSB silver digital director (for switching and jitter reduction)*Technics M-85 professional Cassette Deck*SAE MK VIII tuner*Luxman PD-272 turntable, Grado Red cartridge*Cardas Crosslink speaker cable*Monster M550i for all interconnects*Monster HTS3500 Reference Powercenter Conditioner

Hey Tony, been a while.

I took off the dampening stuff and it was just too forward for me. Maybe I blew a tweeter in the dim past, but they just sound too aggressive without the tweeter damped.

Left the squawker dampening off though, and didn't seem to be bothered by it's lack.

You should snap up that Laurel IIx on audiogon. Better price than I paid for mine, and same ultimate upgrades.

Lord they sound good. Don't worry about the lower power output numbers. My Laurels ended up being a trifle bit louder than my 30W NAD SS receiver. Go figure.