Sub Woofer for a Highyly Tuned Ear and Pipe Organ Person

Mallette

I rather doubt that George runs his system louder than "realistic," so performance over 100db isn't really important.

A Pipe Organ does not play at over 100db? I have heard plenty play at or above that volume, its always nice to have some headroom, so to speak.

I rather doubt that George runs his system louder than "realistic," so performance over 100db isn't really important.

A Pipe Organ does not play at over 100db? I have heard plenty play at or above that volume, its always nice to have some headroom, so to speak.

Can't think of an example of an intrument of the liturgical tradition, even extended to full polyphony, with 100db as the norm. Certainly concert organs, like the Wanamaker, or theatre organs, can WAY exceed that.

However, must "classical" instruments do not. Trumpet en chamade can provide a moment or two, but I think Heresies can handle "realistic" classical organ levels quite well with a good sub to handle the pedal.

Dave

Dang, Bart. More words beyond "Top Notch" than I've heard from you in a while...[:D]

I suspect that instrument is, indeed, capable of 100db plus, but only full tilt and probably not in the nave where most folks would hear it. The vibs you are getting are from 32' and larger pipes that reach into the sub audible...but jiggle your guts.

I still maintain the Heresies with a sub can produce realistic organ levels nicely for about 98% of of the non-concert and theatre organs extant. JMHO.

Dave

Just got back from a visit to George's home. He's amenable to consideration of a sub for the Heresies and the price of the Hsu didn't deter him. Seems he is going to take a "post retirement" interim position at a rather large, wealthy Mobile, AL church were he'll need to overhaul a 69 rank Moeller that's half in one end and half in the other of the church. He's already agreed to allow me to be his recordist over there...YUM.

Anyway, on topic, that means he can take the sub off his taxes: professional requirement, donchaknow! [H]

If he goes with it, I'll report back on the results and his impressions.

Dave