A little help with my Thorens TD 160 MK I

jamesV

I am having a bit of trouble with the counterweight. I have been moving the TT around the past few weeks trying to get it stable and building a wall mount for it. I have finally got it stable and solid as it doesn't jump or skip as I walk up to it.

When I went to do a final setup the counterweight does not hold in place. It doesn't matter if the thumbscrew is tighten it still slides back and fourth. I took it completely off and it has some left over residue on the inside with nothing there and when the thumbscrew is tight it doesn't go far into the center, if this is confusing I can take some picture to show what is going on. I was just wondering what should be there and how can I fix it? Should the thumbscrew be long enough that it is hitting the piece it slides on? Should there be something in there that puts force on the slide to hold it in place?

Any help in much appreciated, thanks.

James

James, there is a black plastic sleeve that fits inside the counterweight, it is split and has a small nipple that seats inside the hole the thumbscrew rides in. When you tighten the thumbscrew it pushes againt the sleeve nipple, which in turn locks the counterweight in place.

If you can look inside the center of the counterweight and can see the hole where the thumb screw rides, then you are missing the plastic sleeve.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks Bill for the bump.... [Y]

Tom,

I can see what you are talking about and that is what I was thinking. Something had to be inside that applied pressure to hold it in place. Well I just went to Lowe's and get a longer screw and tightened it down with just the screw to the part that it slides on. I set everything back up with the tracking and just tightened the screw down and now it's not moving at all. It seem to move just a little over time with the arm moving up and swinging over.

Thanks for the help, all is good now.... [<:o)]

James