Subwoofers limited to power outlet??

Mr. RF62

I'll let the electrical guru's chime in but I would think that capacitors in the amp might give you some bursts higher than what the outlet actually puts out. Also, the breaker is not going to pop at 15.1 amps and may let more amperage through for short periods of time.

Guest " "

since the amplifier architecture is a factor here (class A,class AB, etc) the best way to investigate is to determine from the UL label what the current rating is.

for example, one amp I have draws 430 watts from the wall or 3.5 amps. it only produces 240 watt to the speakers. If I assume 3X the power for turn on surges, the max power draw would be about 1300 watts or a little over 10 amps.

Capacitors are a reserve bank,the greater the capacitance the more reserve you have. It is very realistic to produce bursts in the 3-4KW range from a 15AMP line. Sustained high level signals are used for torture testing and most amps will even fail trying to meet spec.

You will only see/hear limitations of sustained sine waves reproduced at high output. Who listens to sine waves or tests tones non stop? Also we are not driving a bank of resistors to the breaking point here.

A 15AMP line will feed even power hungry and inefficient JL Audio Fathom f113. Two such subs on one 15AMP line...I would use caution.Two RT-12d's on one 15AMP line...ha no problem conect even three.

When using several power amps subs from one line,make sure to power them in sequence. As turning all the units ON will demand an inrush of current far greater than the single 15AMP line can provide.

I managed to run just for kicks four QSC PLX2502 to 3602 amps,two PL380's and two iTech 6000 on one 15AMP line. In standby the demand was ~9AMPS! I switched one after the other in three second intervals,as the iTech and PL380's suck current into the caps like ShopVacs suck saw dust.

Class D is efficient(dpower raw to output wise), the loss is quite low(compared to class A/B or class A). Unlike class A amplification that has a good portion of the power draw lost in HEAT. Class A/B works in class A at low output levels and switches to class B at higher output levels.

• 4 weeks later...

Class D are around 80-90 percent efficent.Those amp ratings are usually burst. Besides no one really plays sine waves to really torture a speaker and amp. Also remember a sine wave is half on half off so that helps keep the capacitors charged.