Set up helppppp!

eddieras

first let me start by saying i'm an electronically declined. so go easy on me!

i just ordered the following:

Denon 2802

Klipsch SF 2, SS 1, SC 1 and the KSW 10 subwoofer.

I have a 31 inch TV with only RCA inputs

a dolby digital satellite receiver (direct TV)

and Replay TV (Panasonic Showstopper) no digital audio out, tho both have s-video and it pisses me off my tv doesn't!

My living room is 19x13, with the tv, etc is at one end of the living room

QUESTIONS:

-does everything go into the receiver (replay tv, too) and then out to the tv?

-Speaker wire recommendations- from what i've read here 12 gauge is the way to go. any brands or other things i should look for?

-what about the sub- i've read here about special cables, coax etc. don't they use the same wires as the rest?

-is the distance of the sub speaker wire an issue- the way mine will run, will require about 45'.

-optical cable? what should i get? is the RCA Brand ok? i've seen them on ebay for as cheap as $6.00! what brand?

-any other hook ups, wires etc i'll need? i want to have everything here when the order arrives so i can get cookin!

-is this stuff tough to set up? remember, i'm an idiot with these things!

-any other tips/advice you can share??

thanks so much!

ed

Well let's take this one by one:

You can input everything into the reciever and then to the TV. Since your TV only has RCA inputs you would never have to change the input on your TV the recieer would handle that. There will only be one wire going from your reciever to your tv (the one label monitor out.) Do you ever plan on using the speakers in your tv?

Asking what type of speaker wire you should use could start a long debate here so I'll keep this short. It seems like you're just starting out so I'd keep this simple. I'd go with 12ga. Some people swear by the wire you can buy at Home Depot. If your keeping the cost down in my opinion it works great. And it's cheap. Ive had my mains wired with the stuff for two years now. I think Monster speaker wire is over rated.

There are many good brands od speaker wire on the market and you could easily spend more on wire than you spent on your entire system.

There are special cables for your sub. If you have to go fifty feet that gonna be expensive. The cable is a beefier shielded Rca coax cable. I'd find another place to put the sub, what's the reason it needs to go 50' away are you going around the room?

I don't use any optical cables I use the digital coax but one of the better Monster Cables should be fine. Or look at Bettercables.com the've got some good stuff.

The cheaper cables are not built as well and I have seen them fall apart.

If you go with only a digital out of the cable box you won't have any sound input to your TV. I personally never use my TV speakers but others do.

Do you have a DVD player or are you planning on getting one?

The hooking up of the wires isn't hard if you take your time and are careful. If you wanted to spend some more money you might think about buying some premade speaker wires with bannana plugs on them it makes the setup easier. But it's not

Once you get everything plugged in you have to setup the reciever. You'll have to set your speaker size in the reciever setup. This sets the crossover points for your reciever. I'd would set all of your speakers to small. This will send all of the deeper bass to the sub.

If you have any more question there's always someone here willing to help, let us know how it goes.

hey guys -- thanks so much for the info. a few follow-ups...

regarding the banana plugs, is it just for aesthics, or does it help? i checked the specs on the receiver and all it states is Binding Post Speaker Terminals. will the plugs work here? the speakers do take them.

regarding the sub - can't use the 12 gauge for this?? - so, i do need a special cable-- did i mentioned it's a powered sub- or are they all powered????!

the way my room is i need to drop the cable down into the finished basement, (but the ceiling is sheet rock= so i'm limited where i come back up) so anyway, i need to have come up in the opposite corner and then run it around the room perimeter behind the couch- thus about 45' in length.

i don't have a dvd- tho probably will get one down the road.

thanks again- i really appreciate all the help!

ed

If the only type of input jacks you have on your TV is RCAs that means only one thing...OF course you need a new TV:-) You need something nowadays with AT LEAST an svid jack but much better would be some RGB jacks.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

"regarding the banana plugs, is it just for aesthics, or does it help? "

It is mostly for ease-of-use, IMHO. Makes for easy disconnects/reconnects. If you can get a 12 gauge wire into the hole in the binding post, that will give you your most solid connection. Some binding posts won't accept 12 gauge wire -- hole is too small. Then you have to go to a plug.

"regarding the sub - can't use the 12 gauge for this?? "

If you are using the sub out on the receiver, then you don't use speaker wire. You use interconnect cable. The cable for a sub is essentially a heavy gauge coax cable with RCA plugs on each end. You can make one yourself by buying the cable and connectors at Radio Shack, rather than trying to find a 50 foot pre-made cable.

Have fun!

Doug

------------------

My System

quote:

Originally posted by ERIK:

There will only be one wire going from your reciever to your tv (the one label monitor out.) Do you ever plan on using the speakers in your tv?

would i need to use my speakers in the tv ever? they suck anyway.. what do most people do?

This message has been edited by eddieras on 02-21-2002 at 10:40 PM

In the last 2 years I've only turned my TV speakers on once, and they were quickly shut back off. Some people like to be able to use the TV speakers for late night viewing, I just turn my volume down. I don't recommend it but it's a matter of personal choice.

my tv/vcr/digital cable box are in front & the pre/pro/amp/dvdp are on the front side wall 'bout 15' away. so I run shorter analog audio cables from the cable box thru the vcr to the tv. then i use the longer (AQ Sidewinder) analog audio cables from the tv variable audio outs to the pre/pro tv analog inputs.

for prologic, seems to sound as good as the direct connections from the cable box & vcr to pre/pro. & also i get sound from the tv speakers for those rare times i don't fire up the a/v system.

eddie, you can do this for the analog tv stations sound

using dolby prologic, or you can run the pairs of analog interconnects from each device (sat & replay boxes) to the respective analog inputs of your denon.

i also run a long AQ VSD-2 (vsd=video, sat or digital) interconnect from the digital cable box digital audio out to a digital input on the pre/pro, to get the digital sound for those digital channels w/ dolby digital sound (in most cases dolby digital (ac3) 2.0, but w/ some of the movie channels (like HBO, showtime, starz) certain movies are broadcast in dolby digital 5.1.

eddie, to get digital sound your direct tv sat box needs a digital audio out (usually for sat box it's an optical connection). if your box has one i highly recommend using it as above. if your box doesn't, i highly recommend getting a box that does.

unfortunately, to get sound from all channels & to also take advantage of digital sound, you need both analog & digital connections. hopefully some day all channels will be digital.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-22-2002 at 12:11 PM