I need a RF-3II expert

Hey Guys.

I have a old set of of Rf3II's.Rc3II,cdt5800c surround.Yamaha rx-v1800 receiver and hsu vtfmk3 ho and mbm12.

Speakers are set to small with the subs picking up at 80 hz.

I notice that the mids and highs dont sound as well as they used to.

I received the speakers damaged via ups(cracked grill pins,mashed corner.lower woofer on one speaker had become loose.(1 screw pulled out of cabinet)

I repaired the lower woofer and they seemed to sound fine.

i also noticed that the small nuts on the back of the binding posts had become loose,i tightened all these also

I would like to gut these old boys,check the woofers and horns just to satisfy my curiousity.

What is the best way to check all this?

AA or AAA battery on woofers,ohm meter on tweeters?will this reveal problems if present?Can you check the crossovers?

Thanks

Dean

P.s. i have thought of replacing these(rf7,rf 83,MA rs6 or rs8's)but i really like these speakers,i would just like to be 100% sure that they are 100%

I

not an expert, but if they have "lost" some sound, you may have some caps going bad. if you did a crossover mod that would straighten everything out. i am pretty sure you cant olm anything out on the crossover, unless you removed it first. has anything else changed before you noticed a loss in sound?

I use to have 8 of those at one time, the RF 3 is a great speaker.

Do you have the same problem on both speakers? Because if you do I would look somewhere else for the problem, start with the receiver.

If not check the jumpers, they can come lose.

If the jumpers are fine check the connections at the cross-over. To remove the X-over just take the 4 screws out and pull it out,nothing to it( tip: keep the screws aside they might be different from the one used for the woofers, I know it is the case on the RC 3)

To remove the woofers I usually start by the top screws and work my way down when I get to the last one I apply some pressure on the casing of the woofers to keep it in place so it does not slide out and scratch the paint once I get the last screw removed.

AA or AAA battery on woofers,ohm meter on tweeters?will this reveal problems if present?Can you check the crossoverI

Not sure about the battery thing, the ohm meter will show the impedance of the woofers but to know what it means you would need to know what you are looking for

One way to isolate the problem is to take the jumpers out and power the horn alone then the woofers between on each speakers but again if they both sound the same I would suspect that the problem is not there but somewhere else

Thanks guys,

In my haste to figure this out,i went straight home after the post and "gutted"my speakers,the woofers,tweeters,connection all looked fine.however i did notice that 1 to 2 screws on all woofers(both speakers)were pulled through,the were i the cabinets but the little "ears"on the woofer themselves were damaged to the point that the screws were not grabbing anything.

I dont know how this would affect sound quality,with the tweeter?cant imagine,but i would think maybe this could affect midrange sound?if the speaker wasnt held in the cabinet as tightly as it should be.Anyway i got some fancy countersunk brass washers with slightly larger brass countersunk screws,re ran ypao(the yamaha auto eq feature)and my pea brain tells me the sound is much improved!!!who knows.the highs sound better as well as midrange,maybe i had loose connections that i didnt notice.i did tighten all the little spade connectors before i reconnected.

I di contact klipsch support as was told there was not a tweeter upgrade on the rf-311's(i read that there was online)however the klipsch site says my rf-3ii's should have k-105-k1 tweeters,my tweeter says k-124-k.does that mean my tweeters have been replaced with the incorrect tweeters?in other words is it possible my tweeters and crossovers dont match?

BTW, now im really interested in the crossover mod.I NEED THAT!!!!where can i get more info on this?

falcon,you gotta lotta nerve hording all the rf7's.Rf7's in a "SPARE SYSTEM"come on man[:'(]

Thanks Dean

you can go about the mod a couple of different ways.

easiest: contact DeanG on this forum and he will tell you how to ship them to him. you pay him and then you get nice new "upgreaded" crossovers.

Moderate: (first find out if you do have the wrong tweeter. please call klipsch tech support and not relay on any additonal information given on here regarding that question). contact klipsch tech support and get the pdf drawing of your crossover. verfy that the values (caps and resistors) that is on the drawing matches your crossovers. contact dean and ask him what resistors, caps, and solder he uses to upgrade crossovers. don't forget to ask about the little things he does to really make them sound nice....hint...hint....

Difficult: do everthing in the "moderate" way, but pick out the caps, resistors, additonal caps for paralleling, addition resistors that take the "edge" off, and come up with your own mix and match method to create the "AAAAAAHHHHHHH" sound.

lol. i had fun writing that. lol. contact dean, you can't go wrong. good luck and have fun!

I di contact klipsch support as was told there was not a tweeter upgrade on the rf-311's(i read that there was online)however the klipsch site says my rf-3ii's should have k-105-k1 tweeters,my tweeter says k-124-k.

I do not have the RF 3 II anymore but I just checked the RF 3 and I have a K-105-K1 tweeter in them. I could not even find what the K-124-K came out of.

Sorry I can't help

falcon,you gotta lotta nerve hording all the rf7's.Rf7's in a "SPARE SYSTEM"come on man[:'(]

Thanks Dean

Give me a break those 3 spare RF 7 are project speakers, I just haven't had the time to get to them but when I will that will complete my full RF 7 5.2 system [:P]