I need some advice on my setup/room

theMonseignuer

My theater area is an 11 x 35ft room. I have a couch and a love seat that sit flush against opposite walls. I have a 7.1 system. As of now the right/left surround speakers sit flush on each wall 3 feet back from the couches. The rear surround speakers are mounted to the ceiling and angled slightly downward. Should I do the same with left/right surround... or leave them flush? I know trial and error is best, but I'd like to avoid buying two more ceiling mounts if I don't need them.

here's a crappy diagram of my setup:

http://www.leaveitdifficult.com/klipschSetup.jpg

Thanks in advance

Actually your setup is what's usually recommended - side surrounds slightly behind you on the side walls and slightly above your ears when seated, rear surrounds up higher on the back walls. I'd leave it that way.

yeah... I've noticed that that is the recommended configuration, but all of the diagrams show a room where there is space between the listening area and the surround speakers. In my case, (with the couches right up against the walls), the speakers are directly above some of the listener's heads, (and a few feet back). I don't see how the sound will not just go right over the head of the listener... unless these surround speakers spread out the sound better than I'm guessing?

The new RS series that you have do a great job of sound dispersion. I would think it would sound unnatural to have the speakers mounted way up aiming downwards unless you watch a lot of movies that have airplanes flying overhead. [;)]