Converting HT to Klipsch

Mlstrass

I've been following the forum on/off for the past few months. After auditioning a pair of KLF-20's last summer at Tweeter I knew horns were for me.

I've had a JBL system for several years and was very happy with it, but the urge to move to horns was too tempting.

I picked up a C-7 a few weeks ago, and during lunch today drove to Indiana to pick up a pair of KLF-10's. Also won a bid on a pair of KLF-30's which should be here next week sometime. E-bay can be a pain, but so far has come through for me. Prices were VERY good on everything.

For now I'll run the 30's/C-7 up front with the 10's as rears and use my small wall-mounted KLH's for the back channel. Eventually I plan on going with 20 or 30's for the rear surrounds and move the 10's to the back channel. Should be a killer set-up.

Receiver is a 3802 and I'm in the process of building a sonsoub....DIY sub with dual 15's and 500watt amp. Will go below 15hz and should be in the high 120's SPL.

Looking forward to sharing and learning on this forum. Happy listening...Mike

mistrass, welcome on & yes congrats on a great set-up. nothin else i've heard hits/slams on that 2nd octave like my 30s. the dynamics & resonance of the kick drum

at about 110db always brings a smile to my face. & the highs & mids of the klf are great for me too. cwm35.gif

rock on! boa (actually yet another Mike - i believe the 3rd most common name in the world after mohammed & wang Smile.gif)

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Welcome Mike, you'll find those other Mikes quite helpful along the way. You are sure starting out your Klipsch adventure in fine style. Those 30's have earned a special niche for a "live" sound.

For a long time, I ran with KLF-30's and a KLF-C7 up front... with three KLF-10's for side surrounds and rear effects... and five Klipsch Subwoofers (two 15's and three 12's). The sounds were great... but I yearned for the sound of six KLF-30's and tubular bass.

I hope you will make frequent posts about your DIY Sonotube progress... a lot of Forum members would appreciate it. And, of course, we hope you will add a few comments about how you compare the new Klipsch gear with your JBL experience.

Expectantly, HornEd

------------------

"LEADING 8 LEGENDS INTO THE 6.1 GENERATION!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in search of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-21-2002 at 04:38 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I guess when it comes to horns...Mikey's like it!!

My current JBL set-up is G500 towers (dual 8"s) for fronts and surrounds and an S-center, plus the small KLH's for the back center channel. My room is 16'x22' and they put out plenty of sound to fill it. Current sub is an AudioSource 12". At -6 on the 3802 my youngest sons would tremble and my cats would run for cover. Wait until the Klipsch's are in the house!!!

I will be sure to post some pics of the sonosub during/after construction. Amp is still on back-order from Germany. I'm going with the Hypex HS500 and dual Tempests. For more info check out the Adire website.

HornEd......you sure have a thing for those 30's Wink.gif Of course once I hear mine I may start rounding up a few more pair also.

Boa...I love my music VERY loud and the thing about the 20's I auditioned that impressed me the most was that no matter how loud I played them, they were crystal clear. I can only imagine that the 30's will be as good or better.

Happy listening...Mike