RTR Service Center Needed!

Hello,

I pulled out a new tape today, and started recording some classical (Holst Planets) and while the quality is great, in the background there is the sound of popping corn. I have noticed it when playing pre-recorded tapes as well. It seems to be heard whenever the transport is engaged.

So, I'm thinking caps somewhere. Does anyone know where a good service center is for reel to reel decks? I live in Stroudsburg, PA (NE section of PA, close to Jersey) and would prefer to not ship it as it is heavy and fragile.

I love the deck, and am quite impressed by it's recording quality, but need to get it quiet.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Is it tubes or transistors?

My guess would be transistors, and that would be PCN (pop-corn-noise), generally associated with transistors.

Tubes can make noises too, but they sound a bit different.

Hey djk,

It is transistor from the 70's. So you're saying the noise is more likely a bad transistor? Hmm, wonder if they'll be hard to find? I know some transistors are getting harder to find, while others are common. Sounds like a job for a tech. I should also add that it recorded the popcorn noise to the tape. Doh.

-Jon