Klipsch 15" Bass Driver

Here it is assembled. I use 1/4-20 T-Nuts and black oxide hex bolts to hold the driver in place. I worked hard to get the Klipsch logo aligned correctly. I covered the inside with 1" fiber glass...again left over from that other project.

How does it sound? Like it needs a tweeter :-) The cabinet does not buzz and is still to the touch when driven hard. I'm driving it with an old Yamaha 100w rack amp and it clips of course before you can get it too loud. I believe the K48 is a 4ohm 400watt driver. I am a bit surprised at how much mid-range it has.

My method of checking for the tuned frequency is to sweep slowly thru the low frequencies, say from 20 hz to 60 hz, with a finger gently laid upon the edge of the cone. Resonance is where the cone seems to be still (at reasonance the tuned box requires the least energy and movement from the speaker). I was shocked that the cone was still at 40 hz. Good quality Thiele Smalls! Thanks.

Left to do...

post-36876-13819485838286_thumb.jpg

I would try these on a small horn. They have more power handling and would work better fro the application. You can get a small horn fairly inexpensively. I think you'll be out less money for a better match. A Dayton 1 inch horn 4.5x4.5 is around $5. You don't want to cross the tweeter too low for a bass application.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-225&ctab=2#Tabs

You won't be able to cross as low as you wanted, but I think Gallien-Krueger crosses their woofers over to their tweets at around 5k. You could go a little lower, and still probably get away with it.

Please don't take offense Bruce, but i don't think playing bass guitar though a horn is a good design. Try something like 4x5" wired in series/parallel if you want some THWAP from your bass. Or a couple of 8's.

I won't take offence, but I imagine all of the G-K users out there could. Theyactually biamp the bass driver and tweeter horn. Pretty awesome sound, Michael and I know that Josh loves the one he has. But don't take my word for it. It isn't the thwap but clarity in the high end.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I've a single 15" Eminence driver, ported bass guitar cabinet made by Gallien Krueger that I rolled into my stereo system literally (it has casters on it) that I am using as a subwoofer. With the bass head, the thing will move pictures on the walls...ridiculously rumbly, low, and loud, with enough midrange to give a nice stringed-instrument texture to the guitar sound/tone. In the home stereo configuration, I am routing the signal through an ART tube preamp and optical compressor. I did that to get some control over the sound of the bass in the stereo because I am running the sub out of one channel of an old Phase Linear 400 that does not have gain (really input sensitivity) controls. The cabinet you built looks similar to this backline cabinet, of course with the exception that mine has no Hi-Hz section. With yours, does it make any difference which way you rotate and situate the cabinet with regard to the location of the ports-vs-the floor, walls, etc???.....just curious about the rotation of the box...Congrats on the estate/garage sale find and the excellent project...

Chuck

This cabinet has been used for practicing bass and so has been in may positions. With the ports on the back you want to leave about 6" between the back of the speaker and the wall so that there is no impedence to the flow out the ports.

My recommendation for your application would be to try different placements and see what works out best.