question about subwoofers / bass / placement

i have 2 little ones at home and so have to attempt to keep things they can fiddle with at a minimum, my rell storm subs have the plate amp and controls on the sides, and with a green glowing lighted switch it just invites little prying fingers to mess about, so i am attempting to mitigate the finger action with placement.........right now the subs are placed under the sap trio monitors and the bass sounds great,but i have to have some sort of blanket covering the top and side of the sub to hide the controls my question is

if i create a solid platform made of granite which is larger than the bottom firing subs and set the subs on those platforms (anly about 12 inches off the floor) will it effect the sound and would that be good or bad ???????

Joe

Hey Joe, I think you're going to have to try it to know for sure. But I wanted to mention a little trick I use to keep "curious eye's and hand's" away from the cool blinky lights, I put a small piece of electrical tape over the lights and that stops the curiosity. If you need to see the light, you can poke a small hole in it with a needle to let just the smallest of light to shine through.

I am curious as to how raising the subs will react with the room, please keep us posted.

Dennie

i will let you know if i do raise them i am looking at some aarticles about placement and it5 seems according to those my idea is a bad one not because of raising it off the floor but because i have 2 and planned / do have them set up as i would any speaker seems with a sub that is a no no

Joe

Hey Joe, I would be more than happy to take one of your little ones off your hands for the right price, is either one of them approaching the age where they can do dishes or make beds?? If not vacuuming and dusting would also be taken into consideration. We have a good loving home, and would treat them as if they were our own. [;)]

i will let you know if i do raise them i am looking at some aarticles about placement and it5 seems according to those my idea is a bad one not because of raising it off the floor but because i have 2 and planned / do have them set up as i would any speaker seems with a sub that is a no no

Joe

What about a Left and Right placement? Turn 3 ways into 4 ways, etc. Stereo Subs!

But again, little hands could be a factor. [:S]

Dennie

Most subs like to be close to reflective surfaces - walls corners, floors and lifting them off the floor may take some of the "thump" away. As far as locating them goes, if you can, place one of them in your sitting position, put on some music and walk around the room - corners and all. Put them in the spots that sound the best and are closest to your speakers (SAPs?) for good coherence. The ideal spot is tied to your room's acoustics and usually not where you'd think it'd be. It also won't be the ideal location for blending with your speakers but at least you'll have a starting point to work with.

Of course, if you're only concerned with the little ones being attracted to that green light, a piece of electrical tape strategically placed over the switch light may be enough to defeat their curiosity...outta sight, outta mind, ya know.

hey bryan

i read an article that said to do just what you explain, except they said to put on knee pads and crawl around the room (yea like thats gonna happen) i do know about the outta site thing infact i practice that with all your gear, inside a shelf and covered with towells, the problem with the subs is not only the switch but all the neat looking little knobs / buttons / wires etc... i just know joe jr. and he loves to tinker (chip off the old block) originally i thought i would use the subs as speaker stands but putting a blanket over the controls only invited jake to pull on the blanky (next thing you know jake would be wearing a sap as a hat..................not good for a couple reasons) so now i built some heavy stands they shouldnt be able to move much so i figure if i can locate the sub or subs close to another object i can limit access for them and me and hopefully stop the tinkering and hat wearing (oh what a tangled web we weave)

i will try this sub in listeninng posistion and WALK around the room, who knows maybe i can find a nice location

Joe