moving into 21st century

cluless

I have a pair of klipsch kg4s which I love but am thinking of moving up to home theater. My system will still be primarily used for music (rock/punk) so I don't want to make sacrifices in that regard. I have just started looking, and I'm really overwhelmed.

I need suggestions on compatible speakers for center/surround and a good quality surround sound receiver. (budget 1-3k)

Thanks

This message has been edited by cluless on 02-22-2002 at 02:07 PM

Another KG4 fan heard from (have a pair - luv 'em!)...

First, go buy the KV-3 center channel that's on Ebay right now or in the used section at http://www.saturdayaudio.com/usedgear.htm#Speakers or possibly from others on the board that might be selling one... The KV-3 is the designated center for KG4s.

Then, search in the Home Theater forum further up the page using KG4 as a keyword for the past 30 days or so and I think you'll pull up a couple of threads on just this topic. There are a couple of schools of thought on rear speakers (direct versus wide-dispersion speakers) and I think it was discussed recently.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 02-22-2002 at 02:19 PM

Cluless-

I may have a KV-3 for you if you are interested. It is under negotiation right now, but if it doesn't go through, I'd be happy to let it go to someone on the boards.

Doug is correct, the KV-3 was made for the KG series. It served me well with my Forte IIs for nearly 8 years before I upgraded.

Rob

Clueless,

Here's what I'd do:

Move the kg4's to surrounds, find some used Chorus or Fortes for mains, KLF-C7 or Academy for center, subwoofer (many here are fond of SVS, I have enjoyed my Hsu 1220 for several months now), tie it all into the AV Receiver of your choice (Denon and Outlaw seem to come highly recommended here), using some quality interconnects and cable (don't even try to feel out the Forum on THAT one...), and roughly 3k later, you're all set (for a year or two cwm14.gif)

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable