Klipsch Heresy Receiver Questions

PatrickC

Hey guys,

First post here, and I'm looking for some help. My setup right now consists of two Klipsch Heresy speakers (HWO, serial# 8442951 and 8442952). I have them hooked up to a Carver "The Receiver" and I'm running some generic 16 guage cable. Unfortunately, my receiver's left channel is completely shot (both speakers work) and there's a pretty audible buzzing sound. I've been able to run them on the right channel (A+B), and that sounds pretty good once the speakers get above the hum. So I have two questions really:

1. Is there an easy fix for the receiver or am I out of luck?

2. If I'm out of luck, what sort of new receiver should I be looking for? If I were to go to the store I'd probably purchase a pretty cheap solid state receiver (~$150), but I'm willing to consider more expensive options (tubes, etc.) if you guys think there will be a large enough difference in quality.

Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick,

Welcome , unto the forum.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the Carver receiver. One thing to check out is if a fuse has blown. I'm not familiar with the Carver unit, but some receivers have fuses which require getting under the hood to see if they are OK or not. If it's not something simple like that, it's not too likely to be repaired feasibly, unless you are handy with electronics diagnosis and repair yourself.

Other receivers in that price range would be the Harman Kardon 430 and family of twin powered receivers. Of course, these are also 30+ year old receivers, but they do sound good with Klipsch Heritage.

For somewhat more money, there is a big bang for the buck value in Panasonic receivers which have Texas Instruments chip amplifiers. (class D amplifiers)These are pretty reasonably priced if you can find one on Ebay. Several forum members use these and the sound is excellent.

Here's a thread on the Panny's:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/82075.aspx?PageIndex=1

Patrick,

Check out www.carveraudio.com this is a fan site for Carver.

They have a repair forum. Bob Carver actually runs a repair shop that will repair to factory specs.

There may also be some repair shops closer to your house. From what I have read Carver amps use

some pretty unique tech and parts that may be trickey for a novice to trouble shoot.

I would pose your question to that forum.

By the way I run my Heresy IIIs with a Carver HR-752 (2 channel 100 watts sonic holography) and it

seems to do a great job. Some folks don't like Carver, but my receiver is quiet, powerful, and

reliable.

Rich from Annapolis

Welcome to the forum...

I have to agree with Dee on this. I have a pair of Heresy and had it hooked up to my H/K 730 and loved it, I currently have it connected to a Yamaha 1020. I also have a Marantz 2238B paired with Cornwalls and it sounds great. Take a look at this thread in the "Garage Sale". I am no affiliated with it but it sounds like a nice cleaning and bulb replacement and you have a fine piece under your price.

Good luck on the search...

James

• 5 months later...

Patrick

Suggest you open up The Receiver and note two relays on the chasis. The contacts get tired from the speaker current. If you can replace the relays do so. Sometimes operating the speaker selection switch will temporarily fix this problem. The Carver is a good receiver. Use one with my Klipschorns for many years.

Norm