Surround speakers

pirke

For home theater, most sound is coming from the center speaker. Then there are the surround speakers. Why do people choose smaller speakers for the rear speakers (in a 5.1 setup)? Aren't they just as important as the front speakers?

Currently, I'm putting together a HT 5.1 setup. Note that I'm seating directly at the rear wall, and I can't put speakers on the side wall. My room is 13' long and 20' wide.

I think I'll go for the RF82 as front speakers, and my dealer suggests RS42 as rear ones. But this comes to me as a suprise. Sure, I can get sound from side/above, but they seem very limited compared to the RF82. And if those RS42 are "good enough" as rear speakers, why do I need the big RF82? I won't be listening to music (perhaps 5% of the time, compared to 95% movie). Maybe I should reduce the size of the fronts and use equal surround ones? Like 4 RF62 speakers?

Can anybody advice me in this matter?

BTW, I've got a Marantz SR7002 receiver, so power won't be a problem.

Most of your movie sound comes from the front three speakers, your surrounds are effects speakers which help add realism but they are not nearly as important as the front three. It really is not necessary to have large surround speakers as much less information is recorded to them.

However your front mains will feature most of the movie effects as well as most of the music recorded into the movie sound tracks. While the center is mostly used for vocals although this is also shared by the front mains as well. So it is best to have the front mains as the largest speakers and the front three should be well timbre mated because vocals as well as sometimes other effects often pass among the front three speakers and you want this to be done seemlessly.

While it is nice to have the surrounds to be timbre matched as well the surrounds are much more forgiving than the front three.

Maybe go to the BS-52, as I listened to the 42, the effect was great but just a tad thin, the 52 would surely fix.. Take a look at the recomened systems and see what combo they are set up with.. The BS-81 have the 62 for the center and the 52 for surrounds.. I wondered the same thing - why they weren't all the same.. But as the guys have said.. You want good mains, then the center to match in timbre and then the surrounds.. and the recomended systems show the same reasoning..

-fab5