K-horn crossovers-hardly a new topic

Ed Cook

A couple of years ago, using research that began with feedback from an inquiry to these forums, I replaced the original crossovers in my 1970 K-horns with some from Bob Crites. As expected, the resulting sound seemed o.k. but did not match the sound of the new LaScala I got at about that time to use as a center channel between the K-horns. (Added Heresy's in rear at the same time.) My antique ears certainly cannot distinguish all the things that many of you can hear, but I'd like to think that I have components matched as closely as is reasonable - and I can still differentiate some things that alert me to differences, such as that the white noise of the K-horns is different from the LaScalas.

Klipsch specs seem to indicate that the crossover and mid- and hi-speaker components in the LaScala are the same as in a current-day K-horn. As much as I'd wish that everything matched properly, I'm really not anxious to spend $8k on a new pair of K-horns so I'm wondering if it is possible - and realistic - to consider saving money by buying and installing current upgrades for the K-horns that should allow the sounds of all three speakers to be as close to the same as possible (realizing of course that the base cabinetry creates its own differences)?

If the answer is yes on the technical side, does it make sense financially, i.e. would there really be much saving? Klipsch and Wal-Mart may both live in Arkansas but they are still not very close together geographically - or in terms of pricing.

If yes, which components would need to be replaced?

If yes, are the modern components available from Klipsch? Whom to contact?

Thanks,

Ed

You would need the AK-4 Upgrade Kit, which runs about $1800.00. Klipsch will send the crossovers (which I believe are premounted on new doors, but not completely sure), two K-55-X midrange drivers (which just screw onto the horn), and two K-77-F tweeters.

BTW, Pink and White noise can sound different between identical loudspeakers due to the different placement of the loudspeakers.

What year is the lascala..............and what year are the heresys? I agree with Dean that even identical speakers could sound different due to placement but also because a HT receiver will not send the same information to all the channels. You certainly can optimize things on a budget to get the speakers to sound close within reason.

• 3 weeks later...