How Much Better?

I came across an used Jolida Model JD 100A CD player. This is a Vacuum Tube Compact Disc Player, 12AX7A.Tube Complement.

How much better sounding do you think this player would be then my current Onkyo 6 disc CD/DVD player? I am sure it sounds better, but for a used price of $500, does it significantly sound better? I always hear so much about tube components on this site and it got me thinking about doing an upgrade to my CD player. Any thoughts?

A couple of years ago I had completely given up on listening to two channel because of the CD sound, all ones and zeros to my ears, no music. When I say I had given up on two channel, I mean just that, I sold everything I had except the Klipsch. Well, I missed the stuff. I started searching for a CD that I could listen to. I visited the local HiFi shops and listened to a group of players. They still sounded digital. Then I accidently found Mike Powell at hotrodaudiomods and found that they were within 5 minutes from work in Smyrna, GA. I made an appointment, visited his shop, listened, came home with a Jolida JD100A and now have had to re-buy a two channel system. I am sure that there are other CD players out there that are the same or better but for what I paid (~$1000.00 IIRC), having them just down the street and Mike's open, frank discussion of what I was listening to did it for me.

I have not kept up with current cost but I could not be happier with my Jolida and the seller!

Oh, take a listen to XRCD discs, great!

BTW, I was using a Sony 10 CD changer at the time but listened to a lot on the shelves.

Thanks for the info Usnret. I will give the stock Jolida a listen this weekend at my local shop. I see your unit is the modded version. Did you ever listen to the stock version vs the modded setup? The modded setup is now about $1300 (new) vs the $500 stock(used). That is a significant jump in price depending on how much it would effect the sound?

I did not listen to a stock one prior to buying but have heard one since (not in my system).

I see the place I got mine now has prices of 929 stock, 1155 level 1 and 1455 level 2.

Sound is best left to your ears but I don't thinkI would pay the extra $650, I would however check the latest price on getting the $500 used unit sent in for mods.

Over the weekend I ended up auditioning and buying the used stock Jolida JD100 player. I did some listening over the weekend at home and find the player to be pretty nice. Definitely an upgrade over the Onkyo I was using before. The Jolida seems to show the midrange more than I have been used to. It's overall a very smooth and detailed performer. I might try to upgrade the tubes to some Svetlana's or something else down the road and see how it sounds. Thanks for the advices fellow members.