NAD 2200 Amp

EDA

Anyone have anything negative about this amp? Been looking into snagging one, also would it be able to push 4 Forte II? Still a newbie to the stereo items, what pre-amp would you suggest if I can get my paws on a 2200 amp?

The NAD 2200 had problems with the speaker relays.

They also have enough power to blow the Forte woofer to kingdome come if you turn it up too loud.

I wouldn't drive two pair of Forte with this, the impedance is so low it will exceed the ratings of the output devices.

"So much for soft clipping ."

Sort clipping is actually a hard diode clipper on the input signal to the amplifier. It prevents the amplifier from actually clipping by clipping the input signal. It's not the clipping per se that damages the speaker, but the clipping frequently causes amplifier stability issues in the feedback loop that can cause damage (excessive cone motion from infrasonics). Tweeters burn up from excessive long term average power, not clipping.

The NAD 2200 put out 360W continuous at 8R on the test bench for brief periods of time, and then it shuts off the top power supply rail. On dynamic program material it can easily put out 800W into a 4R Forte woofer. The woofer then bottoms out and damages the voice-coil former, and must be replaced.

The NAD 2200 also ate Cornwall woofers, including the K43 industrial woofer. On these it ripped the voice-coil clean off the cone.

There may have been something wrong with the one you auditioned.

When new I thought they sounded lean in the bass, and bright, but with no real high-end.

These amps are 20+ years old now, I'm sure the capacitors are all starting to go (and that will change the sound).

• 4 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor and have a look at AudioReview.com . All of the positive and negative points of the 2200 are discussed.

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/nad/amplifiers/2200/PRD_116004_1583crx.aspx

Be aware that the 2200 is a legendary amp, but they are 20 years old at this point, so you need to know how to deal with their weak spots. I posted a review about what to do if you have the "punch through" problem. Others have contributed alot of good info. on this amp. check it out.

That being said, I love mine and wouldn't switch.

• 10 years later...

I have a new question related to an NAD 2200.  I've got one of those, and an NAD 1600 tuner preamp.  Trying to figure out how to connect a Klipsch R-12SW subwoofer to them.  Would the best way be to connect "Y" RCAs to the line outs on the 1600, then run one side of each to the line-in on the subwoofer?  Hoping to not blow up the subwoofer.  Thank you!