cable suggestions please!

aab3rd

I am getting ready to upgrade my digital connection from my DVD player to my pre/pro and my power chords for my amp and pre/pro from the stock chords.

I now have a Monster Toshlink lightspeed 100 for the digital cable and want to upgrade to a good coax for $100 or less.

As far as power chords go, I want to spend no more than $100 on each of them as well.

Any suggestions?

a, they had a great deal going on the audioquest vsd-2 at www.accessories4less.com i love mine for digital cable tv use. excellent construction (can be buried underground) & made a dif in better, clearer sound to me.

also there or maybe it's www.audioadvisor.com they have cardas p-cords down in that range. i bogarted that route since it looked like i'd need to spend $300 or more for any cord that would be much dif from the ones that came with. just my feeling on it.

references: keith turned me on to all the above sites.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I doubt that you will experience a significant difference between toslink and coax. But if you decide to replace toslink with coax, you ought to be able to do it for about $10.

For more information, misinformation and opinion than you will ever need on the subject of interconnects and power cables, check out the cable forum at www.audioasylum.com.

Boa, first off, thanks for reply.

Accessories4less only had one vsd-2 left @ 3m (I just need 1m). As far as the Cardas power cable, I have been looking at that at audioadvisor.

Malcolm, thanks for the reply as well. I will check out audioasylum forum for info.

aab

Both toslink and coax have their own problems. But for most cases either toslink or coax should work just fine. Main advantages coax has for me are cost (as long as we are not talking rediculously price "audiophile" grade cables) and the fact that I can tailor it easily to my exact length requirements. It also can carry the signal farther than the 60' or so maximum for toslink if you need to. I use both because of the inputs/outputs available on my equipment.

My advice - try 'em both and see what sounds best. I have seen applications where Toslink is superior to digital coax, because it eliminated the electrical connection between two pieces of equipment and hence removed ground loop hum. In other cases, I've looked on the back of a friend's equipment rack and was amazed the photons could actually bridge the gap between the end of a flimsy Toslink connector and the back of his DAC.

C

------------------

My System