Oppo BDP-83 and Pioneer SC-07 setup question

USNRET

My co-worker (the guy with whom I made the mad dash to Houston for the RF/RS/RC-7s) has the Oppo and the SC-07 but his current TV is a SD 480i with component and Svideo inputs. What connection method can he use from Oppo to SC-07 method can he use to view BluRay discs. It works with DVD but audio only with Bluray. I forgot to ask but I think he is using Svideo thru out now (with coaxial audio).

The question stated another way is will either the Oppo or SC-07 down convert from 1080p and send the signal out over either component or svideo. I believe I remember that 1080p must go over hdmi so IIRC then it must be down converted at source or AR.

From the Oppo website on the BDP 83

"The BDP-83 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and up to 1080p 50 or 60Hz."

He can chose which output so he should go into the menu and set it at 480i. So I would say yes. Here is a link to a review with setup instructions I found.

http://www.prillaman.net/oppobdp83_review.html

Thanks, jbsl, I have the same unit and was reading the manual as well. The problem is that when he first set it up he could not see the AVR menu over component and had to use Svideo. The standard DVD works fine but no Bluray disc will show video. A call to Oppo at the time of setup said that no AVR would down convert which was a surprise as I have HDMI, component and svideo all thru my system (I have to use the svideo to see my SMS-1 menu. Guess I'll have to take a drive over with a variety of cables to see if I can get it going. He bought the Klipsch and Oppo on my recommendation, then bought the SC-07 and wanted to wait until his TV broke before investing in a new one.

Another way to get video for the receiver menu is the video(yellow) out to the tv yellow in video.

So he is not able to get any Blue ray disc video? I guess Blue ray will not work with 480i. It may be that his tv is too old and may have to get one that has HDMI and at least 720P but he may as well just get one with 1080P.

If he wants the benifits of Blue ray then he needs a new tv. This is the downside of new tech so fast I have a great 34 inch Sony CRT(heavy!!!) that had a great pic thru my Denon 2900 and don't use it now. Bought my Sony 50 inch and the Denon 2900 did not look as good on the 50 inch compared to the 34 inch. So I bought a Toshiba HD-35 and most regular dvds look outstanding and the HD dvds I have look even better.

Maybe someone else on the forum can figure out a way but I think his tv is the problem.

I guess Blue ray will not work with 480i.

Ah, the cruix of the problem and the bottom line ??? I think I know that you can not get 1080P over anything but HDMI due to HDCP but would have hoped you could down rez. My buddy had nothing but the TV and then when the Klipsch R-7 ensemble appeared in Houston he bit. Then he needed a receiver. Then when I got the Oppo he went along with that too all along planning on using the TV he has and using the system for a stereo and watching movies but not yet ready to spend on the TV. I feel sorta bad now that he can not watch the Bluray albiet at 'low' def. The plus side is the Oppo makes a really good universal player so....

Well the Oppo BDP-83 is a great regular dvd player so when he is ready to upgrade his tv everything else(receiver, BR dvd player, speakers) has been upgraded.

Then once he has a new tv he should not have to upgrade everything again for at least another 6 months!![;)][:S]

If I'm following this right, it sounds like the video sources are passing through the Pioneer SC-07 first, and then on to the TV. If this is the case, then no it will not work. Most AVRs will not downconvert HDMI. He needs to use another video output other than HDMI. If he wishes to use the latest codecs (Dolby True HD, etc.), then he should keep the HDMI going to the AVR for audio conversion, and use a second video output (if there is one) from the BluRay player direct to the TV, such as component or S-video. Hope this helps.

use a second video output (if there is one) from the BluRay player direct to the TV, such as component or S-video. Hope this helps.

The Oppo has component video out so he can run it to the tv but I don't know if a1080p blue ray disc can be down converted to 480i.