Sacrilege? Seeking advice

I have the following:

Marantz sr8001

Fronts: r-3650-w

Center: RC-3 II

Surrounds: KG 3.5

Sub: rw-12

..and very probably am going to be upgrading the fronts to some nice floor standers. I've been looking at several options within the Reference line to match and understand my price points, etc. On a whim, I started checking out the DIY options and came across this, seeking some advice from you guys:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Hi-Vi-3-Way-Tower/

First, am I free to discuss this topic here? Following that, do you (collective masses) think I could get by using my existing center or am I going to have major tone/crossover/blending issues? Total project cost is about $900, and there is a matching center channel project for about $450. This is attractive to me for multiple reasons: a) i can spread the cost out, B) my dad is a big woodshop guy and my FIL is an electrical engineer and HAM operator, so I get to use this as a bonding opportunity, and c) the satisfaction of building my own stuff.

incidental costs will be an external amp, since this particular build is 4ohms and the marantz is 6/8 ohms. Darn, i'll have to get an Emotiva XPA-3 :D :D

looking for some advice on how mixing and matching would potentially sound, things i may not have considered, etc.

Cheers - Michael

Speaker projects are fun but it's more woodworking than electrical engineering. If I was inclined to tackle such a project, I would look for some beat-up used Cornwalls or LaScalas and do a little refinishing or veneering. In the end you would have something of value and a heirloom for life. If you have advance skills you can really make something special. Cruise around this board and you will see some very special projects. I can't take any credit but here are my rosewood Heresys: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/121042.aspx I don't think anyone could talk me out of these, they will have to pry them from my cold dead fingers!

Thanx, Russ