Sensitive caveman angst over girls and religon kept me laughing from Year One

Colin

USA Today blasted Year One, saying it was childish, sophomoric PG-13 humor, but it made me laugh from Jack Black’s spear in the back of a fellow hunter to the droll Michael Cera quips to the beautiful women to the religious insanity.

I couldn’t believe the stupid body part jokes, even when they hinted they were about to show us, showed us (gross!) and then made sly comments about it afterwards.

The script was tight. It kept the comedy rolling as the pair walk through the first thousand year of Biblical history. And it is witty.

Being something of a caveman myself, I totally identified with sensitive intellectuals trying to impress the prettiest girls in school, oops, I meant tribe.

I love movies. Mostly action/adventure and dramas though. I am not so much a comedy movie nut, though I like live stand-up shows. I did not enjoy Sasha Boren Cohen, a Jew, making crude fun of Arabs in Borat (two naked men grappling on a bed is not amusing to me). Yet I did smile at his sly put-down of American racism.

Yet I love some Mel Brooks movies. History of the World Part One, for example, when Abraham drops God’s 15, oops, 10 Commandants. And when Madeline Kahn picks lovers from a line of slaves: “no, no, no, yes, no, no, yes, no, no, yes!” Year One is another feather in Harold Ramis’ cap. One can only hope that yet another Ghostbusters, coming soon, has as much to offer.

I loved Will Smith with the King of Queens star Kevin James in Hitch. The paring of Black and Cera however, may be one of the best comedy duos that I can think of. I will gladly watch another flick by this writing/acting group.

I am with Oscar Wilde and ex-Minnesota governor Jess Ventura on this: religion is the opiate of the masses. Those who can not laugh at themselves…well, they must lead very long lives.

Year One might be worth 8-9 dollars to see it in the theater, it is that good. It is certainly worth 3-5 dollars for a rental.

[...Those who can not laugh at themselves…well, they must lead
very long lives..]

By this you do mean very long and less enjoyable lives, don't you? I agree.

I also agree with nearly all your listed titles. I have liked Jack Black and Michael Cera in most of their other movies. In a similar vein, I like most of the Farrelly Bros movies, and they always have lots of juvenile and bodily function humor. I was surprised how much I liked Smith and James in Hitch. I would never watch Borat or similar humor ever; its too meanspirited for me.