I don't know how to wire! I'm in over my head!!

columbusdjkc

I just got all my speakers today and man it's more complicated then I thought it would be. I have hooked up a pre-bought system before and that was fairly easy but I have no idea what goes into where on this thing. So any help would be most appreciated. Questions are below:

Here's the info

I have two RF-82 an RC-62 two RS-62 one KW-120 THX one KA1000. I also have a brand new Denon.

On the back of the Denon it has L and R front / Center / L and R Surround A / L and R surround backup (amp assign) / L and R Surround B

So on to my questions -

Do I use banana clips to put the speaker wire to the speakers?

The RF-82 has two seperate places where it looks like speaker wire goes. Do I use both sets and just put it into the same spot on the receiver (meaning two wires from the RF-82 to the front left two wires from the other speaker to the front right) ?

I am using 5.1 as I don't have seven speakers. Do I use Surround A for the back ones or surround B?

Which port do I use to plugin the amp ? The amp assigned one? It has a left and right though but a sub isn't left and right is it? I feel incredibly stupid for asking some of this stuff but this a lot different then I thought and the owners manual didn't really help explain anything about wireing.

Thanks and sorry

• Moderators

Congrats on the new purchase.

Do I use banana clips to put the speaker wire to the speakers?

Totally up to you. There is no sonic benefit, just very convenient. I love them and will never go back to using straight wire.

The RF-82 has two seperate places where it looks like speaker wire goes. Do I use both sets and just put it into the same spot on the receiver (meaning two wires from the RF-82 to the front left two wires from the other speaker to the front right) ?

The two sets of binding posts are for bi-wiring or bi-amping. Don't worry about connecting both. On the back of the Denon, look for a Front or Main Left and Right. Each speaker will have a red and a black terminal. Connect the Front right to one set of the binding posts on the front right speaker etc. You will see a metal bar on the back of the RF-82's that "connects" the top binding posts to the bottom binding posts. Leave the metal bar in place.

I am using 5.1 as I don't have seven speakers. Do I use Surround A for the back ones or surround B?

My guess is surround A but check your manual to be sure. It should show you what to connect if only using 5.1.

Which port do I use to plugin the amp ? The amp assigned one? It has a left and right though but a sub isn't left and right is it? I feel incredibly stupid for asking some of this stuff but this a lot different then I thought and the owners manual didn't really help explain anything about wireing.

Not familiar with those models but generally, you use a mono rca cable to connect the Sub Out on the back of your receiver to the amp. Since the amp has stereo inputs (red and white), you can use a "Y" adapter. Then you would come out of the amp to the sub. It almost looks as if this amp is designed to be used with a pair of subs or mains instead of just one speaker.

• Moderators

The Sub out is basically a pre-amp output as well. They both send a non-amplified signal so I would not think it would matter. The only think I'm not sure is if the pre-out is effected by the receiver's crossover setting for the sub.

• Moderators

Ask all the questions you want. That's what the forum is here for.

Just be sure not to put your tongue in the speaker terminal on the amp to see if it is turned on. You might end up with crazy looking hair like David Crowder. [:P]

203352675_105292b033.jpg?v=0