Cornwall II's inside dampining

GBSLPS

I purchased Bob Crites crossovers and tweeter diaphragms for my used Cornwall II's that I bought from original owners wife. As I was removing drivers to install coponnents I found the cabinates were stuffed with foam sound diffraction panels that were popular in the 80's ment for hanging on the walls. I removed all of this crumbling sticky foam.

My question is was there any from Klipsch, original damping material?

The Cornwall II (86-90) came with nothing inside for insulation. The cabinets resonate like crazy too probably the reason that stuff was in there in the 1st place. Use some of the 1" acoustic panel from parts express with Scotch 77 spray glue if you replace it.

The original crossovers in there look like they were put together by playschool, very cheap.

i have a question......

if you add batting, that takes up volume inside the cabinet. if you take up volume inside the cabinet, what does that do to the sound? i ask this because i have different foam in my speakers and a friend has the same speaker, but less foam. whats the formula for the foam, meaning, more foam, less volume = more bass? or is that the reverse?

i'm thinking of replacing my foam and am unsure of how much to put or take away. i don't really want to play musical woofers and add foam, take it away, add some more, etc. if someone could give me the overall formula that would be awesome.

The foam helps eliminate standing waves in the cabinet. While it does take up a bit of cabinet volume what it does is slow down the backwave so that it fools the woofer into thinking it's in a bigger cabinet. When properly adhered to the three non opposing sides it will also prevent the cabinet from resonating.

All the Cornwall I's are heavily damped on all surfaces they got cheap and just added a motorboard to rear board brace and a crapover network to the CII. They still sound fabulous even though but can get much better with a nice crossover and a bit of internal damping.

Done properly it is a benefit.

1" of porous (open cell) foam on one of each pair of parallel sides, is all that is required. This would be the back, one side, and top of the Cornwall bin. There should be none blocking the opening of the ports.The orignal material is a fibrous tissue like material, but it serves the same purpose.

Stuffing the cabinet with loose poly fill is NOT the way to do this.