marantz 1070

EDA

The newbie is back with another question...

Would the above amp provide crisp, clear and powerful sound to my Forte II's? I keep hearing that Forte II's are very efficient, and could be sufficiently pushed by 30W or less. Can someone 'walk' me through how this would be possible? I think its just with me seeing 150W per channel on these new amps that is getting me a bit confused.

If the Marantz 1070 wouldn't fill these Fortes to their maximum potential...please let me know what will! I have a current budget of around 1000, that probably isn't high enough to get the correct setup. Basically I'm in search of something that will put out good clean sound that wont break the bank.

HELP!

I watch movies and listen to music all in the same setup, just for future reference.

Many newer receivers have power ratings with only one or two channels driven, or their power ratings are measured at a very easy to amplify frequency (such as 1kHz). Also, with a receiver, you can only cram so much stuff inside the case so compromises have to be made somewhere. Many older amplifiers and receivers didn't have to fit as many circuit boards with DSP engines, etc. in them so there was room for larger power transformers and beefier power supplies.

If older amplifiers and receivers were measured the same way that many modern ones are I'm sure that their ratings would far, far exceed what's available in the current audio market.

If you have a budget of around $1000 I would recommend getting a pre-amplifier and a separate power amplifier. Outlaw Audio has a great reputation and I believe right now they are selling one of their pre-amps very inexpensively.

The nice thing about getting separates is that you can find a pre-amp that has all the technical features you need and then shop for an amplifier that fits your needs.

Are you running your Forte IIs by themselves or do you have a surround setup?

Currently I have a surround setup, nothing really spectacular but it still sounds nice on movies. I noticed with the current amp I have, Sony, the 2 channel setting on the amp pushes the fortes better than any of the music settings. During movies I flick on an A.F.D Setting for movie. Then for music it just stays on the 2 channel setting.

Samsung 61" DLP HLT 6187S

Samsung BP-1500 Blu-Ray player

Early 90's Sony 5 disk changer

Sony STR-DE597 Receiver (hold your laughs)

Klipsch Forte II (currently two sets, different finishes but only one set is hooked up)

Pinnacle two way surround speakers (got them for free from a buddy)

KLH Powered subwoofer 10"

i think the 1070 is a integrated unit.

are you buying it or do you own it ?

if you own it... enjoy it.

may be get a tuner and turntable with your 1k ( anything left over get some headphones and cables).

enjoy the music for awhile.

make any sense ?

:)

paul

Ya, its inergrated. But its an older intergrated....not this new stuff with 80input/output settings.

Based off what you wrote p.dow, get it use it till it burns up?enjoy the music for awhile.

well what i meant was if you already own it and you like what it does , enjoy it for awhile. is it going to burn up..... i dont know.

lots of different integrated's out there serving there owners relatively well.

if you got the itch to try something different , most of us eventually do. listen around , read the sterophile mag recommendations for the price class equipment you are interested in if it is newer equipment (like the outlaw, etc).

google it. i do that alot.

i have a a/v yamaha with more bells and inputs and outputs than i will ever use . 100w/ch 5.1 (i only use 2 ch) its in the living room for the tv and the klf 30's. got it at best buy about 200 something $ works fine for what it does at its price.

hth