Tangent 400s what are they worth?

kirkman

I recently seen Tangent 500s for sale on ebay. I was looking to down size myself and was wonedering what my 400s are worth. If I upgrade is the cost of selling these off worth the new price to power? My center experinced a meltdown and my Pioneer quit on me so I would be in the market for new stuff.

The Tangent 500 is slightly larger (taller) than the 400. It uses a passive radiator instead of ports as in the 400. I would stick with what you've got if it were me. The 400 has slightly less power handling, misses 3 Hz on the bottom that the 500 has. I wouldn't think it is worth the trouble to change. They both use Heresy II parts.

Bruce

I've been so tempted to build the Tangent 400 cabinets out of some nice baltic birch and move all my drivers over from my HIIs. All off a sudden there would be more bottom end. Then I'd have to store the HII cabs...[:(]

you and me, too. I'd love to actually hear them. Two or three years ago there was an Ebay seller (in Nashville) who had a pair for $260, VGC that went a week with no bids. Second listing finally sold them with one bid. I was so glad. If they'd gone a third week I would have had to buy them and road trip for pick up. I just could not justify it in the midst of other things, but what a good deal.

Oh, I love these speakers! Tired of moving with them at 48lbs. They are loud enough to not to hear the person next to you. I actually took a competition car stereo bass cd and warped the sliding door almost breaking glass. It also about blew out the rear bedroom window, now that is some sound pressure. I was using a Pioneer at 110w per channel now it died along with the center channel. Lots of distortion in Doom DVD, but well worth the earthquake surround. I am looking at new pioneer digital amps similar in price $1500 and models. Long ago I was told to step up to a Marantz don’t need 5k amp. If I go up to 150watts that a lot more than my neighbors can handle. In the Die Hard xxxxxx when the helicopter flew over you could feel the rotors in your chest at 1/2 max. Normal volume is 1/4 to 3/8s. My buddies can’t believe the sound. I do have some cone or dust cap vibration at high bass levels but the new 10" power sub takes the strain off the well worked 400s.