What the heck is a sub EQ, and how does it improve sound

Amit

hey guys i own the PW-2200, which i just bought a few weeks ago. I have noticed that a lot of people have been adding EQ to their sub. What does the EQ do, i have heard people say that it gives you flater response, what the heck does that mean. I have also heard that you can get cleaner bass down low as well as more SPL, is all this true. If you do reccomend an EQ what is a good sub EQ in canada for about 200 dollars.

Thanks!

Simple

The EQ is there to boost response where it rolls off and diminish where its too strong.In one word it makes a sub response more FLAT.

For example most 12" subs roll of at 30Hz sharply and may have a bump in the 60-80Hz region.Then the buil in EQ will reduce the 60-80Hz by a few dB and boost response from 30Hz down(down to 18Hz or so).

The EQ while great is better avoided like with SVS subs,no EQ = more output down low.SVS subs are tuned very low,use large cabinets and dont need any FAT EQ boost like Velodynes,Klipsch or most subs.

More SPL can be reached if the extreme LF is cut(reduced),this helps the sub play louder in its upper range.The LF will not get any real boost a high SPL,the driver will crap out and hit its mechanical limits.There is always a tradeoff with EQ use.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-26-2002 at 07:40 PM

As theears says, ideally, should be avoided. Still in the real life I find the reason to have one is to get rid of room reflections. A sub will have a peak frequency, as theears said, lower cost subs will have this peak anywhere between 60 to 120Hz. One way to avoid that is to set the crossover to the lowest.

But there are also room reinforcements and null points for some frequiencies, this could "color" the bass and give "one bass note" results. Say that in your listening possition the room reinforce around 30Hz, giving you a dB peak at that frequencies but at the same time lowering the 40's by several dB's. In this case a parametric equalizer can be used to try to reach a flat response.