Home Theater Master MX-500 Universal Remote

Is anyone Extremely familiar with the MX-500 universal remote?

I'm having a problem. I bought one off flea bay, guess what, it's older than the website's owner's manual. Therefore, It does not support Sunfire.

Not a problem, I'll just use the learn feature and teach it my remote's commands.

Guess what, the whole reason for buying the darn thing is that my kids managed to break the glass LCD touchscreen on the Sunfire remote, it was working though, I just had to remember where the buttons used to be. Turns out, I have several buttons on the remote that no longer function, and I cannot teach the new remote. I've been hunting on Ebay for a used Sunfire remote, found one, but was outbid by a sniper. Haven't seen another one since, that's not attached to a entire TGP or TGP-II.

I tried to buy the exact remote from Sunfire, No longer in production, and no parts available. They tried to sell me a newer style remote, that could be converted to a TGP-II, but not all functions would operate. Turns out, it's nothing more than a re-badged MX-500, but MUCH more expensive.

Is there a way to flash new programming into the MX-500 to bring it up to date? There website is minimal at best. They must have sold also, as the manual says to go to www.hometheatermaster.com , but that site does not exist. I Google'd and found www.universalremote.com and they are the new owner's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Or, maybe someone has a Sunfire remote and no TGP to use it on.

These unit are branded for many companies, Sherwood Newcastle uses the same one, I once looked into how to flash it, and came up empty.

But good luck, let us know what you find.

If you find you need to buy another TGP unit, feel free to send it my way.

These unit are branded for many companies, Sherwood Newcastle uses the same one, I once looked into how to flash it, and came up empty.

But good luck, let us know what you find.

If you find you need to buy another TGP unit, feel free to send it my way.

Brac,

You must be a mind reader. I've been drooling over the now out of production TGP-5. What an awsome unit. Prices are really great. I've seen NIB for around $1300.00.

I just cannot justify the Scratch right now, being unemployed and the economy in the tank. These are the last units that match the older amps, the new TGP-401 has a goofy white stripe down the center.

Not to mention the fact that I can't believe Sunfire quite producing the Signature 600-2 amp. What a monster! They are absolutely not available on the used market either.

Oh, well. Maybe someday.

Just got off the phone with "Customer NO-Service" at Remote Central. NO help, NO suggestions, Did not even know that other companies were re-badging them (most likely Remote Central is doing the Re-badge and selling them to the other companies).

All the rep would say is that the learning remotes aren't very flexible and there is no way to download any flash programming into the MX-500.

Funny though, seems like others on the net are doing so, I'm just not smart enough yet to figure it out.

Note for future. The remote is not too bad, the base is too narrow and when striking buttons near the edges, it tips over, making learning difficult. Make sure your stuff is compatible before purchase, as customer service has a lot to be desired, Unlike my experiences with Klipsch customer service.

Just an Idea, that worked for me once. Find someone who has a working remote you can borrow for a day or two. Ask here or on CL. Then just sit and push. You can lear each and every button one, by one, by one....etc. etc

Yeah, I was hoping that someone in the STL area would offer that. Unfortunately, Sunfire's aren't very common around here.

Don't totally understand that one, because for the money, I'm totally impressed by thier products. Also, I'm not sure that an original TGP is compatabile.

If memory serves there is a pretty big jump in technology from the original TGP and the TGP-II that I have. Just like anything after (III,IV,V) all used the MX-500 style remote.