Need help ASAP!! Will be ordering speaker tomorrow!

lopezh

I am in the process of completing my system. I am replacing my rear book shelf (RB-10's) and replacing them with the in wall/ceiling R-5502-W. My current configuration consists of 2 RF-10's for my front R/L and the RC-10 for the center. My concern is that the R-5502-W might over power or sound too robust for the fronts that I am using. I watch a lot of movies so surround will be the primary function however I would like a nice even sound for when I listen to music. I have a Denon 2309 receiver. Please advise if you recommend I go with smaller speakers for such as the R-5650-S. I am also concerned about timber match so if you know if they would clash please advise.

• Moderators

Don't worry the Denon will need to be adjusted anyway, all the channels will be adjusted to an even volume, from where you listen. There is not that big of a difference so just the leveling of all the channels would balance it out. As far as timber match there all Reference so I would think that's not a problem,

Thanks that does give me some peace of mind. This may sound like an oxymoron but would it be too much speaker for my set up? I have searched the threads on this forum however I haven't seen anyone post that they are using these as their rears or read any reviews on them. I want them, but I would hate to have them turned down all the time and hence defeating the purpose of having a more robust speaker. It's a matter of I want and trying to justtify the need if that makes sense.

• Moderators

If they are more "robust" than you mains they will be turned down a bit, BUT even if they were the same exact speaker as the front that would also be turned down a little. The rears should be turned down a bit, the whole idea is to have all the speakers volumes adjusted so when you sit in your listening spot (sofa/chair) all the speakers have the same volume if a test tone is played. That way when a certain channel/speaker is intended to have a noise louder than the others it does. Your making up for the different distances you sit from each speaker by doing this .

Most new receivers have a mic and it should calibrate all of this, I would guess ? Me I would rather do it myself and know what I did right. I use a radio shack DB meter ($50) and play the test tone the receiver puts out and manually adjust each speaker volume ( in the receiver's menu) to play the same volume at my seating position using the on screen display and the remote, I set my crossover in the receiver and that does it. You do hear a big difference when set properly don't underestimate what this does it's very important. It's really very simple to do, sorry if you already know all of that I just wanted to let you know in case you didn't. [Y]

• Moderators

The reason you don't find many people using the speakers you want to use for rears is many on the forum don't use in-wall/ceiling speakers. I am not sure but I would guess a RB 10 is not that much different from the R 5502 w both are Reference and not that much different in size.

Most people on the forum are NOT normal when it comes to speakers [:|] most have big to huge setups and have spent years or most of there life chasing the "best speaker" which usually are on the big side of the scale. [:$]

There is nothing wrong with what your doing you will have a setup better than anyone who buys a "home theater in a box" and better than 95% of the general public ! Don't be afraid to ask questions, just be patient sometimes the answers take a while but most people here are very knowledgeable and willing to help.