50's Khorn Questions

kuisis

I've been playing the Khorn's that I got from Detroit for almost two weeks straight. I really enjoy them and I'm suprised how much better they sound than my LSI's. The only thing I can see improving for the short term is the tweeters. One has the t-35 and the other the T-4100. These speakers are 16 Ohm so any tweeters I would get would have to be also. I was wondering what other people with older Khorns have done to their tweeters, and also crossovers. Mine are in great condition, no leaking caps or any other damage I can see. They are 500-5000 and they are large. Any tips or hints are appreciated. Glad I bought them and want to keep them as original as possible.

Tom

If you have an ohmmemter, I would check the DCR of the tweeter voice coil. I'd be willing to bet the impedance will be around 8 ohms (6.5 ohms DCR).

If I remember correctly, old KHorn's were recommended to be used with 16 ohm amplifier taps even though the impedance of the speaker was much less than that.

I could be wrong about that...but the best way to make sure is to measure the impedance of the voice coil.

dbspl

They both have the 500-5000 crossover, they are huge, with three rolls of wire. I just checked the tweeters they both say 16 ohms. The crossovers are like new, the speakers were in great original shape. The bass bins were never opened and I felt bad for doing it, but had to know which drivers.

Tom

You had me going about parting them out. Yikes. It is like the National Lampoon cover that they will kill the dog if you don't buy the magazine.

You should look at a couple of threads which discuss the crossover. As you will see, Bob Crites has experience. You will have to read through the entire threads.

One is the article by PWK about his adoption of autotransformers. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/59538/582696.aspx#582696 I thought this might be a 500-5000.

In another thread Bob was discussing the EV version.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/58607.aspx?PageIndex=2 There is an official schematic posted by Bob as you read down.

- - - -

As far as what to do. I dunno. There seems to be contradictory goals of:

1) Making them match each other. Particularly tweeter.

2) Keeping them stock.

3) Updating them with somewhat updated components of the same type.

If you want to make them match each other, it will be easier to find an alnico, round magnet K-77/T-35 than to find a University tweeter from those days. There was an early version of the T-35 by EV which did not have the button-like phase plug. I don't know if PWK ever used that . . . or if you have it. Overall it might be an okay near vintage to just go with two round magnet K-77s.

As far as crossovers. Bob points out there are three versions. Do yours look identical? I don't know if component values shifted or whether they shifted with changes in the tweeter. Bob would have some good ideas.

Do you want to keep the paper in oil caps? Bob has reported that they go off spec after half a century. I understand you can find the same types still being manufactured.

Many people like modern caps.

- - - -

My overall thought would be to save your old crossovers. Have someone make up new versons with modern components. Find a pair of round magnet K-77s.

BTW, what is in the woofer box?

Wm McD

Wm McD:

Thanks for the help. My crossovers look nothing like the ones in those those photo's. I will attach a picture. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer and he's coming over to check the specs. There are numbers on the components so that's a start.

I've decided to get an ev tweeter for now. These are 16 Ohms and they aren't that scarce. A forum member has one he is checking on. I don't want to go to crazy. They sound great as is, even with mismatched tweeters.

The woofers are mismatched too. The 54 has the holy grail trusonic and the 56 has an ev. They don't sound different, but it's awful hard to tell I would bet.

Tom