Yamaha M-80,M-85 Amps

toolguym

Does any one have any opinions/experience with these amps?I have had a M-85 for about 23 years now.I recently picked up a M-80 Amp,C-80 preamp,T-80 tuner,CDC-905 CD changer,2 Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette decks,Technics SL-92 turntable,KEF 104/2 speakers,and a real nice Yamaha component rack.I paid $500.00 for everything.The Preamp and Amp need at least a good cleaning,the speakers may need reconing and haven't checked the cassette decks yet.I think it was a good deal,even if I have to spend a couple of bucks.The KEF's may need a lot of loot to get up to par though.The main reason I picked up the whole lot was for the Yamaha seperates.I am thinking of possible Bi-Amping(or bridging,but can't seem to find out if it is safe).So-if anybody has any feedback or thoughts on the Yamaha gear it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

The main reason I picked up the whole lot was for the Yamaha seperates.I am thinking of possible Bi-Amping(or bridging,

I looked at a M85 on the web, it doesn't look like bridging is possible, but I'm not a Yamaha expert and the picture was a little fuzzy. IIRC the Yamahas were kinda nice and had a nice smooth sound. Might be a good match with Klipsch.

Absolutely not! (Sorry for the emphasis)...You can not bridge any Yamaha M-85 or M-80...there were not made with that capability...Well, let me rephrase...Yes, you can bridge them, as a matter of fact you can do whatever you want with them as they are your property but those models were not made to run that way...they can not handle such parameters...they are not stable in such conditions and you will fry them! And fast! I'm somewhat familiar with those amps and that's a big no, no. To go that route, you need to find yourself some of the Yamaha "Pro" line amps. Just to give you a couple of examples...Some Yamaha amps with the model #'s starting with a xm or xs or with P...I personally like the XS 350. This amp will give you 230 Watts RMS into each of the 2 channels @ 8 ohms each and it will give you 700 watts RMS when bridged also at 8 ohms! And that's true RMS Wattage! You can probably find one on Ebay or something, one just sold a few days ago for like a bit under $300 bucks (including shipping).

• 3 months later...