Pioneer Elite SC-07 good match for RF-63s ?

roger1

Hey all,

New to the forum, but not really new to klipsch.

I just got rid of my Synergy F3 system, and stepped up to the RF63 towers, RC64 center and RS42 surrounds. I sold off my Yamaha receiver with my synergy system, and need a new receiver.

I've heard nothing but praise about Pioneer's Elite line of receivers, and have been told that the SC-07 can be had a very good price now that Pioneer is rolling out the new sc-27 to replace it.

My question is if a receiver from Pioneer is a good match for the these Klipschs or if another brand like Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, or Harmon Kardon would be better suited for these speakers ? Id like to stick to the above mentioned brands as they pretty much the only brands I can easily get around my area.

I would especially like to hear from any one that is using one Pioneer's Elite receivers as far as what your likes and dislikes have been with it.

Thanks

Roger

Welcome to the forum. The Pioneer SC-07(140w/ch) should work great with the RF-63's. Before I added a B&K Ref 4430 amp(200W/ch) to my setup, I used just an Onkyo TX-SR705(100w/ch). The Onkyo alone powered the RF-63's pretty good. When I added the B&K, the RF-63's opened up with more detail and really began to sing. The SC-07 is a really impressive receiver that should have stellar performance without an outboard amp. Take a look at these lab results for the SC-07. Even with five channels driven it still puts out 138w/ch.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/3042/pioneer-elite-sc-07-av-receiver-test-bench-page3.html

Bill

Roger,

I am driving my Klipsch RF-7 HT system with an older Pioneer Elite receiver and I am very pleased with it. The MCACC equilization works wonders, I can turn up the volume without any clipping or distortion, just pure clean power. The MCACC equilization also balances the speakers to my room very well. The only downside is for 2 channel it does not perform as well as it does in HT. My understanding that this is true for many A/V receivers.

Are you planning on adding a subwoofer? I originally didn't have a subwoofer and when I added one it put another dimension to the movies.

Thanks for the replies.

I will be using a Sub-12 from the synergy line for now, as I have one left over from my synergy system and I figure theres not that much difference between Klipsch's subs aside from output, and tweakability (is that a word ?)

I too have heard that most AV receivers aren't good for plain ole two channel stereo, but I have a dedicated stereo for listening to music, this setup is strictly for HT.

Did you need to tweak the receiver much after running the MCACC calibration, or was that enough to have the system sounding pretty good ?

I also have a seperate 2 channel system, you will be very pleased with the Pioneer Elite HT.

The only tweaking to the receiver after running the MCACC calibration is to manually set my center and surrounds to small, the MCACC set all of them to large. One thing to keep in mind when doing the calibration is to keep the external noise to a minimum. Things like people talking, appliances running, dog barking, etc. I also calibrated mine with the windows closed since I like it loud and didn't want to piss off the neighbors. With efficient Klipsch speakers I was supprised on how much the MCACC calibration attenuated the speakers, this isn't a problem since my HT can still play at near concert volume levels.

You could look at different brand, like denon. I recently bought one (2809) and it bring to live my klipsch system, many people in the forums recommends a lot of brands but I Think that no brand is better that a denon made in japan. it is my personal opinion.

I have been very impressed by the performance of my pioneer elite. I replaced a 70's stereo marantz receiver (that is now in my garage) and noticed my KG-4s were brought to life once again. It was almost as if they were different speakers entirely hearing much clearer highs and feeling lows that weren't there before.