Need help troubleshooting Cornwalls

daneaux

I just bought a pair of Cornwalls at a yardsale for $10. Is that a good deal?

I saw Klipsch on the grills and said how much you want. He said for $10 he would put them in the car. I really didn't know anything about them other than remembering the name as something that was out of my reach in high-school. From what I've read here, I think I might have gotten a pretty good deal. And I'malmost certain that they are not stolen, just more victims of a broken marriage.

The cabinets are painted with white latext and the corners are badly dinged. Some holes have been drilled in the bottom of the cabinets. Not everything works right at the first attempt so I thought I would seek advice before I went any further and screwed something up.

I'm not even sure these are a pair because the components are different. Here's what I've got: SN: 136X856 Type E Balancing Network, K77M Tweeter, K55M Mid-range and K22E woofer. SN: 146X865 Type E2 Balancing Network, K77M Tweeter, K52H Mid-range and K22R Woofer.

Are these differences significant or by design? Where can I find troubleshooting help for the balancing circuits? Where do I go from here? To buy a lottery ticket? I'd sure appreciate some help.

Seriously though, if anyone can show a legitmate claim of ownership for these such as a police report of them being stolen, I'll return them for the cost of shipping plus my $10.

I just bought a pair of Cornwalls at a yardsale for $10. Is that a good deal?

I saw Klipsch on the grills and said how much you want. He said for $10 he would put them in the car. I really didn't know anything about them other than remembering the name as something that was out of my reach in high-school. From what I've read here, I think I might have gotten a pretty good deal. And I'm almost certain that they are not stolen, just more victims of a broken marriage.

I'm not even sure these are a pair because the components are different. Here's what I've got: SN: 136X856 Type E Balancing Network, K77M Tweeter, K55M Mid-range and K22E woofer. SN: 146X865 Type E2 Balancing Network, K77M Tweeter, K52H Mid-range and K22R Woofer.

Are these differences significant or by design? Where can I find troubleshooting help for the balancing circuits? Where do I go from here? To buy a lottery ticket? I'd sure appreciate some help.

Seriously though, if anyone can show a legitmate claim of ownership for these such as a police report of them being stolen, I'll return them for the cost of shipping plus my $10.

I think the only one who stole anything was you! $10 for Cornwalls, man I need to start going to yard sales!! You should have told him that you'd load them in the car yourself - he probably would have given them to you for free!

As far as the networks/drivers are concerned: The X in the serial number indicates they were both made in 1982. To me it appears that you have Heresy networks?? I'm looking at this link: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/103886/1048788.aspx#1048788 that helps decode networks/drivers/veneer material/etc. and it lists the Type E network as being for the Heresy.

In any event it looks like you might have a set of speakers that may have had some damaged components that were replaced at some point. It wouldn't be too hard to replace the drivers so that they matched each other and also the networks. I'd suggest you contact Bob Crites (BEC) on here - his website is http://www.critesspeakers.com.

Also, welcome to the forums and post some pics of the new speakers!

Thanks for the info. Yes, it appears that these are Heresys rather than Cornwalls. Like I said before, my recollections about Klipsch speakers is at least 25 years old and I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.

I'll get some pics an post them, but they really aren't much to look at right now. I'm not too sure about how well a refinish job will come out after the latex wall paint and the dinged corners. I'll do a test spot with some paint remover and see how it goes. If nothing else, I can paint them black.

I think one of the squawkers might not be working right but I'm not sure of how the circuitry is rigged and how to truoble shoot the crossover. I would guess that I will need a constant voltage, variable frequency power supply or something like that. The components in Type E and the Type E-2 circuits are different in appearance, but I'm not sure of anything other than that.

Maybe I can get some technical info from Bob Crites. I guess he sells components and does repairs, too? I'll check out his site and see where that takes me.

Any tips on how best to power these? I can already forsee these $10 speakers costing me at least $500. lol

first check all the connections in the crossover, then you can swap the midrange drivers to pinpoint if it's in the network or the driver (K55 or K52).

From there you can either get replacement diaphragm from Klipsch (an easy fix) or send to someone to repair for you.

M