wiring?

eddieras

per the boards advice i went to radio shack and home depot- unfortunately RS was not much help, so i turn to my brethren here.

i'll have runs of about 25 - 30 feet for my rear surrounds-- can i use 16 gauge (from Home Depot). they had two kinds, one was 'digital' and was $25 for 50'. the regular one was $13 for 100'. which do you recommend?

also, the guy at RS said i couldn't use coax for the sub- but i know it's been recommended here. can you guys lay out exactly what i'll need to do this? name/type of cable, connectors, etc..

thanks again!

Someone fill in the blanks or correct me if I'm wrong --

Why does the RS guy feel you could not use coax for the sub cable?

I believe you would use RG-59 or RG-6 coax cable. The braided shield under the outer jacket helps protect the signal on the solid core from interference. Then, just use RCA connectors on the ends, soldering the center of the coax to the tip and the shield to the barrel.

If you unscrew the barrel from the RCA jack of a "subwoofer" cable, I believe you will find it looks just like RG59 or RG6 cable.

Also, if it was me, I'd boost the surround wire to 12-14 gauge. I've seen 12-gauge for about $0.40/foot at Home Depot (copper colored in a clear jacket).

Also, notice the sale price at Parts Express courtesy of our friends at Home Theater Forum: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52997

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 02-27-2002 at 07:18 PM

Check out www.knukonceptz.com for some decent 10, 12 or 14 gauge speaker cable. They handle car audio supplies but this cable is high quality with good pricing. They also run some on ebay in a Dutch auction. You may want to stay away from their twisted speaker cable unless you like to work your fingers raw trying to strip the wire. It's good cable but a pain to terminate. But they have staight cable also taht sould be good for the long runs to your rears. 12 guage for .50 ft. w/ 294 strands. Not bad, check it out.

Later,

------------------

A/VR- Yamaha 870

RF-3II

RC-3II

RS-3II

KSW12

DVD Panasonic RP-56

Pioneer 5 Disc CD

Echostar Digital Sat

Hitachi Ultravision 50"

Check out www knukonceptz com for some decent 10, 12 or 14 gauge speaker cable. They handle car audio supplies but this cable is high quality with good pricing. They also run some on ebay in a Dutch auction. You may want to stay away from their twisted speaker cable unless you like to work your fingers raw trying to strip the wire. It's good cable but a pain to terminate. But they have staight cable also taht sould be good for the long runs to your rears. 12 guage for .50 ft. w/ 294 strands. Not bad, check it out.

Later,

------------------

A/VR- Yamaha 870

RF-3II

RC-3II

RS-3II

KSW12

DVD Panasonic RP-56

Pioneer 5 Disc CD

Echostar Digital Sat

Hitachi Ultravision 50"