Crazy Idea!@#$%

gartenman

My preamp has 2 outputs. I use one output to my tube amp to run my mains. I can run subs off the 2nd preamp output but it doesn't sound very good despite multiple adjustments with frequencies, etc. I have a Harman Kardon solid state receiver laying around collecting dust. It has pre-outs, main ins and sub outs. Could I run a signal from the preamps 2nd output to the receiver, connect the subs to the receiver and use the receiver solely to run the subs., which would also give me the ability to use a remote control to adjust their level not to mention better sub sound with the solid state. I remember how much better my subs sounded with solid state, but tube rocks for everything else. Please don't call the men in the white coats, just thinking out loud and would appreciate constructive, cordial feedback.

So in your present set-up, what is powering the sub, a second tube amp? Sure, you could try running them with the HK. You can use the HK volume to balance the sub level with the mains, and once balanced, your preamp volume will be your master.

currently:

output # 1 from preamp goes to tube amp for mains

output # 2 to subs

suggested:

output # 2 to SS receiver AUX input, subs connect to SS receiver subouts, SS receiver controls only subs

just thinking out loud especially since subs sound so much better with SS

currently:
output # 2 to subs
suggested:
output # 2 to SS receiver AUX input, subs connect to SS receiver subouts, SS receiver controls only subs

just thinking out loud especially since subs sound so much better with SS

Are these the "Sub-10's" that I see listed in your sig block? If so, then these have thier own amplifier, which is most certainly solid-state.

Did you try setting the low-pass filter on the sub to match the frequency range of your mains?

One thing about the reciever, especially if it is a new enough model, is they usually have some pretty nice "bass management" features, thus I can see why it might not be a bad idea to try this.

If you got the reciever on hand, it certainly would not hurt to just simply try it out. If you don't like it or it just simply does not work, you can just take the reciever back out.

Are these the "Sub-10's" that I see listed in your sig block? If so, then these have thier own amplifier, which is most certainly solid-state.

That's what confused me as well. So GM, you're already running your sub on SS, it's just not good SS. Try the receiver and let us know how it goes. It's got to sound better than your sub amp.

This is how it ended up with my tube preamp having 2 outputs, one went to mains and other to solid state receiver. Conclusion. Bass is much tighter and focused with overall sub sound greatly improved from when i ran the subs off the 2nd preamp output. Solid state produced better bass sound over tube. At least in my case it did. Now am I playing with the devil with this setup by not putting a load on the receiver by not using the speaker channels? Advice appreciated.

post-35949-13819488328654_thumb.jpg

This is how it ended up with my tube preamp having 2 outputs, one went to mains and other to solid state receiver. Conclusion. Bass is much tighter and focused with overall sub sound greatly improved from when i ran the subs off the 2nd preamp output. Solid state produced better bass sound over tube. At least in my case it did. Now am I playing with the devil with this setup by not putting a load on the receiver by not using the speaker channels? Advice appreciated.

Glad to hear it is working out. No, it won't hurt the reciever at all by not putting a load on it. You are essentially using it as a pre-amp for your subwoofer. I have a Denon AVR3802 that I am just using as a pre-amp fronting a B&K Reference 200.7 amplifier. Works quite well, although starting to get long in the tooth.