Two JL f112's or two f113's?

thecutter

I am not going to change your mind if you are really set on the Fathoms.

But if you are still researching, I would have to recommend the HSU ULS-15 subwoofers. I recently became an owner of the Dual Drive package ($2,400 in Walnut). These subwoofers are off only 1db @ 15Hz. Better specs than the Fathoms. They are extremely tight, fast and articulate. They are very good at playing individual bass notes. All of this from a 15" woofer in a roughly 19" cube which is about the size of the F113.

I have them paired up with two older Velodyne subwoofers and they intergrate very well with my legacy Forte II speakers. If you budget is at least $5000 for dual Fathoms you could actually get a ULS-15 Quad Drive package at $4000. My family room is over 8000 cubic feet and they have no trouble filling the room and the rest of the first floor with great sounding bass.

Just thought I would let you know, that if the Hsu is an option, you would not be disappointed.

Let me preface my comment by saying that I am no expert, as you can see by the number of posts I have. As for specs, the f113 is more than capable of delivering great sounding bass sub 20hz. I'll refer you to this insightful thread that helped in my choice to get a Fathom: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/86012/868544.aspx. I've read a lot of posts poo pooing JL subs as overrated, overpriced, and overhyped. But this is inevitable when they've been lauded as the best commercially available subwoofer. It's like saying Megan Fox is overrated. Not to mention I can match each of those posts with a professional rave review for the Fathom. For those of us who failed woodshop and don't have time to invest in a do it yourself sub with better specs, the Fathom is great.

It's also great for people with little space or finicky wives. But of course most of these attributes are in praise of the Fathom's form not function. Don't worry, the Fathom has the function department covered and then some. I'm planning to get a second f113 as soon as I get enough scratch. Definitely keep your mind open during this purchase, you're probably going to be spending a lot of money whatever the case if you're looking at subs that can match DUAL Fathoms. I think it's also important to mention that I bought my Fathom new, for well under the recommended $3700 MSRP on JL's website. So the overpriced criticism doesn't really apply in my case.

It's good to get affirmation of function. The guys at AVS forum loved the JL but then it became almost as worthless as a sub included in a HTIB. The tides turned and everyone jumped on the SVS pb-13B and subsequent Seaton Submersive bandwagon. I have never heard a SVS. It looks nolt as well made as the JL but the SVS fan boys taut it's build. The SVS is price attractive but I want to upgrade only once. $6000 is alot for 2 subs but if I will have them for a long time and I won't be looking to upgrade, then it will be worth it. I think I have made up my mind. I will probably get two f113's. I cross my RF-63's at 55HZ and RC64 at 60HZ. Therefore, the JL has to function from 60HZ down.

I've never heard the JL subs so I can't comment on their function, I do however own a PB 13 Ultra and a pair of them IMO would be considerably hard to match in the performance per dollar from any commercial sub.

I'm hoping when we move (more space) to purchase another SVS PB 13 Ultra. The first movie I put on was quite scary to say the least, I turned the gain to less than 1/3rd and watched a movie (at reference level of course) and was worried my ceiling might come down on top of us. Then dialed it in, and listen to music is a pleasure.