Update - service Heresy ll's

wiilow

I am very impressed with the result of your Hll to Hlll upgrade. However, can I ask why you decided to add internal foam to the cabs? Did you have cabinet, cone (-or both) spurious resonances to deal with?

I am asking because I originally also decided to use a similar (foam damping) solution in my Hll's mainly for better base cone control but realised that it only partly solved that problem and created another. I have now taken all of the foam out and achieve a more 'lively' and open sound.

I do believe that damping in these cabs may be beneficial but the damping would be more appropriate applied directly as some form of a high density thick viscous coating to the panels.

Your comments would be welcomed

w

I was happy with the foam sheet that I found in my Heresy II and left it there. It's a large sheet placed in an inverted "U" position over the woofer.

I have another brand of speaker in the bedroom that has a large loose fiberglass batt in each cabinet, so it seems that speaker designers don't always attach those materials to the side of the cabinets. Perhaps being free inside the cabinets actually helps the material do its job in some cases.

The purpose of the material is not always or only to provide damping, but also to provide "virtual volume", making the cabinet behave as if it was larger. This is part of the speaker engineer's calculations, so changing it will often change the sound of the speaker, and not for the better.

My cabinets had no damping as they were a rebuild from the ground up. I knew that I needed material on at least one of every two parallel surfaces to reduce standing waves inside the cabinets. I could have gotten by with less material inside the cabinet but covered all sides while I had it apart. The foam was recomended to me by an ex-Klipsch employee (Colterphoto) They sound great to my ears.

The H III Klipsch authorized upgrade kit is an incredible way to continue enjoying your Heresy II cabinets into the future. You get ALL new drivers, including the K28 which digs deeper, and the K103Ti and K52Ti TITANIUM hi and mid drivers for toppier, crisper sound. The crossover network is a beautiful piece of work, looks like something one of our Forum guys would build up in a 'cost is no object' move. Basically if you priced it out, buying kit vs all the components, the kit is throwing the network in for nothing!

One little caveat, the network/jack cup fits H II with rectangular hole in the back. If yours has the small round jack cup some cutting will be required. It's a surface mount cup though, so you don't have to rabbet out any inset- a jig saw will do fine.

I've owned the H III and they are a massive change from the H II sound. Remember that as part of the deal you'll have some components to party with, probably about 1/3 the cost of the kit could be recooped by selling the parts you remove.

Good luck, let us know how it works out!

Michael

Pat sez: " I was happy with the foam sheet that I found in my Heresy II and left
it there. It's a large sheet placed in an inverted "U" position over
the woofer."

This is exactly what Klipsch does in the KP250 pro cabinet. It's an easier way to dampen cabinet resonances. Same deal as coating one of each pair of parallel surfaces really.

Do not fill the Heresy with loose polyfill, it was not designed with that in mind. Pat is correct in his assessment of this technique!

M

I am impressed with the very helpful reponses from all of you folks on this forum, it has helped me reconsider several options for my Hll's not the least of which may include the Hll upgrade kit. ( I must say that looking at the photos from CECAA850, the X-over does look like a LOT of re-thing has gone into it!) I will have an opportunity to hear some Hlll's in the near future and I will let you know how this works out.

In the meantime, I have arranged for Bob Crite to replace the x-over caps and send me replacement titanium K-76 diaphragms,as an interim job.

I am also reconsidering the foam damping issue and will eventually get round to a partial replacement and (subjective) listening tests over a period of time.

Thanks again guys.

w