Zero Autoformers???

Coytee

It converts speaker load impedence, for instance say you have a 4 ohm speaker, you put the Zero between your amp and speaker and this will let the amp see either an 8 or 16 ohm load. This is especially important with OTL amps because they work best with high imp. speakers. I've never used them but from what I've read there isn't any degradation in sound quality with them installed.

Music Reference is now designing an OTL amp that will have Zero's built into the amp.

They do the same thing that the output transformers on a tube amp do. The only difference is magnitude. Tubes like a load of a few thousand Ohms, while actual speaker loads are only a few Ohms. The output transformers make the speaker load of a few Ohms look like a few thousand Ohms to the tubes. In the case of the Zeroes, the transformers make the speaker load of a few Ohms look just a little larger, maybe two or four times as large. Some amplifiers like the modestly higher load impedance.

I know Paul Speltz from my former affiliation with the Audio Society of Minnesota. I found him to be a straight-shooter.

Greg