Help with a vintage receiver

hedgemaze

Hi. I'm an audio novice, so please pardon my ignorance. I don't think this would be a problem, but the conflicting information I have found on this while doingmy research has made me concerned.

I'm trying to put together a little system to see what I can do with a vintage tape deck and receiver my aunt had sitting around. The receiver is a Technics SA-200 that outputs 25 wpc. I was looking at a pair of B-2s, and while I am aware that wattages were rated differently in the '70s than they are today, I have read that underpowering speakers is dangerous. Would it create a problem to use these or similarly-watted speakers with this receiver? If it would, what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

As long as you don't have the volume high enough to hear audible distortion you'll be fine.

True.

Actually, there is no real difference between IHF ratings from the late 70s and now.

db-power

Allowing for an unconservative 15 dB over average for peaks means you can't afford to average more than about 3/4 of a watt, or about 1 dB below your speaker's rating.

I have an SA-200 I bought new in 1978 and I still use it daily (an SA-300, too). It drives a pair of Boston Acoustics A40s and a Parts Express Sub playing the audio from the upstairs TV and CD player. Don't drive it hard. When the power supply runs out, it clips hard and sounds very nasty. If you hear any odd sound, turn it down. I've never damaged a speaker with it, though. Driven gently, it sounds pleasant and clean, or invisible.

Bulbs are a little tough to get for it and don't last long. I converted mine to LEDs several years ago.

Thanks very much, both of you, for your help. I tended to think that was the answer, but I needed someone with more know-how than me to say it. I'm glad to hear that, and it'll be a while before I can get it set up, but at least I know what I need to do. Hopefully this system will sound great.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more from this forum.