I believe I have a ground issue

The Dude

Well reading the first page of this thread I was going to advise you get the preamp tested and rebuilt... but I see on the second page you beat me to it. Good for you!

These things can be a booger. I had issues basically b/c I had components hooked up to two main circuits in one room and there was a ground difference. Space is limited and I had to live with what I had. I wound up using some pro sound isolation transformers made by ART, some good automotive-type isolation filters that had stereo RCA pigtails for inline placement, and one other interesting little thing, a ferrite-core collar noise supressor that snaps around a wire, and used them on all the power cords for all the stereo components AND the TV and a halogen lamp. I got things to quiet down, but it was a bit of trouble to do so. The Rane company has excellent tutorials on connections and wires and terminals on their website that helped me quite a bit. I got my Hafler DH101 preamp to the shop first then all this other stuff transpired. Congrats on fixing it!!

Chuck