Why does my center sound muffled?

SJRTX

Setup- Klipsch RF-63's, RC-64 center, Denon 3310ci

Just got this center channel today. From the start I noticed it seemed like it was lacking highs. Dont get me wrong it produces highs, just doesnt seem near as bright as my towers do. It just sounds muffled a bit compared to the other speakers Im really hoping theres not a problem with my center.

This is the third center that was shipped to me, as UPS kept damaging the first two, with it taking a week for each one. Ive had everything for awhile, just been waiting on this last piece forever now.

Took a video with my iphone-keep in mind because of mic placement on the phone, the right speaker sounds a little brighter than the left(even though they are identical in person), but it illustrates how the center sounds compared to the two. Also, I did swap the towers with the center, and center sounds no different on either of the front outputs, and yet towers sound normal on the center output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5UbfpshsRg

Whats going on here?

Did you run Audyssey and what did it's results show? Granted that the RC-64 is warmer than it's predecessor the RC-7, but is voice matched to the RF-63s and should give a seamless soundstage. Fwiw, I would situate your TV and center differently so the RC-64 is flush with the front end of the stand.

Audyssey turned up the center about 1db so higher than the towers...

Does the Denon AVR 3310ci allow you to look at how it adjusted the EQ for the Center channel? My AVR 4806 shows a rudimentary graph on how it applied the filters, but I am not sure if lower end models have the same feature. btw, did you use a tripod for the mic when you ran Audyssey and did you make sure it didn't label any of your speakers as "Large."* My last thought is did you run all 8 positions of the EQ program? {*Edit: Do you own a sub?}

Never saw an option for the graph. I ran it on all the speakers. I didn't use a tripod, I sat it on top if the couch back where my ears would normally be. I was just going for a quick and dirty test to see if it helped any. But I think the fact that it sounds the way it does even when I swap it to one of the tower outputs tells me it's the speaker. Either of the towers plugged into the center channel sounds exactly like they are supposed to.

I called Klipsch tech support this morning and they suggested I swap tweeters with one of the towers, which I'll try this evening. But we both suspected it's a problem with the internal crossover. I'll probably know more tonight.

... I didn't use a tripod, I sat it on top if the couch back where my ears would normally be.

Just to confirm, did you listen to your system with the Audyssey EQ off to see if you get the same result? Fwiw, Audyssey does NOT recommend putting the mic on a couch back and DOES recommend using all 8 positions. If the lack of highs persist without the EQing on then of course this isn't the problem but wanted to give you something else to try before you do something complicated. Good Luck. EDIT: Here is a useful link for Audyssey setup: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895 }

I wish Klipsch would get Reference back into Best Buy ..........for this Reason !

Bill, do we know that he looked for a local rep? There are lots of Klipsch dealers that are not big box stores full of sales people with no clue what they are selling. Lots of times guys go to net dealers to save a few bucks.