some basic questions...

coolbreeze

This is my first post here and hope to get some help and advice. I have a set of Forte II speakers I bought new years ago as they absolutely blew me away when I first heard them. I also have 2 rear speakers - KG 5 I believe, and I can't tell the model number of the center channel. I've been pushing this setup with a Yamaha RXV-890 for years and think it's time for an upgrade to the receiver at minimum. I've used this system as a 2 channel setup for music and the surround features for movies. Obviously I'm no audiophile and don't know much about the latest greatest, but I'm curious about a few things. What I would like, if possible, is to utilize my current speakers - add to them if necessary - and add a newer receiver. I don't do the bluray thing just yet, but would like the option on the receiver I select. I found a very nice deal on an excellent condition Yamaha RX-V2400 that I'm considering - I'd like to keep the receiver budget under 1K and am open to suggestions on all fronts. Thank you in advance for your time!

Thanks, Russ...

From reading a few posts, somehow I've gotten the impression that using a speaker like my Forte IIs as part of a surround system isn't the way to go... perhaps I'm misunderstanding things... also, I do have two rear Klipsch speakers and a Klipsch center channel - is that what you mean by separate components?

I am a bit confused about the set up.

Is this correct: a pair of Fortes as the L & R, some sort of Klipsch as a center and another pair of Klipsch as the rear L&R?

The Forte cabinets are fine and certainly better than most systems. It is doubtful that they are a weak link. So what specifically are you unhappy about in terms of the sound? Does the bass go deep enough? Is the center adequate? etc. Many times you can best spend your time making sure that the placement, location, relative levels, and set up of the cabinets is done well. At this point it would be premature to spend money on a new receiver or separate electronic components. Get the speaker set up done properly, if it isn't already (and this can take good deal of experimentation). Then decide what aspects of the sound are problematic. After that is done, then the upgrades can be done in a more strategic fashion.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Thanks Tom -

That is correct. I Have the Forte IIs as the L & R, then the surround speakers are Klipsch KG 5 and unfortunately I can't figure the model of the center channel. It isn't that I'm unhappy with the sound - it actually sounds really good, it's that I need to upgrade my receiver as it's beginning to have "issues" and I was curious about whether or not I needed to add anything to move to a 7.1 system - a powered sub, an additional set of speakers? Also any advice on a nice receiver within my budget would be great as well. Yamaha, Denon, etc? Thank you for the response!

If you want to be ready for Blu-ray and modern TVs, you may want to go for a newer model AV receiver, Would an RX-V1065 or maybe an RX-V1900 fit your budget? They look to be the very latest in the line. MSRP is $999.95 on the V1065 and $1399.95 on the V1900, but the street price may be a fair bit less.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/Detail.html?compitem1=5016804&compitem2=5016803&compitem3=5036142&CTID=5000300&VNM=LIVE&comp_items=5016803&comp_items=5016804&comp_items=5036142&B_compare.x=25&B_compare.y=7

Thanks for all the input so far! Either of those models look fine and relatively close to my budget. The other info I'm looking for here is when I move to this 7.1 receiver, what speakers should I add to my system? A powered sub I would guess for one, and would an additional set of full range speakers be beneficial? Any suggestions welcome!

If you have the room, 7 Forte IIs would be ideal, but 5 Heresy IIs would also work well with your front Forte IIs, plus be easier to find and less expensive.

From what I hear, the Forte IIs have great bass, but it might be good to get a sub even so, especially for movies. Since the sub operates in a different frequency range from the rest of the speakers, timbre matching is not an issue, so you can use whatever brand you like, as long as it's good enough quality to work well with the rest of your speakers, both in terms of sound quality and output level.

That would be a pretty fine-sounding system.