Technically challenged

aaby1951

I'm looking for a system under 1000.00 comparable to Yamaha YHT-791. I would purchase separate components if I knew what I was doing. I like the Fluance speakers and Onkyo receivers. My goal is to use the system for the 42" LCDTV, listen to large collection of music and watch DVD's with surround sound. I also interested in HDMI connections for both audio and video. All help will be greatly appreciated. Bluray player and DVR recorder are also on my wish list.

The Yamaha you mention is a HTIB system for ~ $700. You will be hard pressed to buy components that will work together as well as this system seems to for a starter setup.

Many of us have that much money in just one speaker, let alone a whole setup. If you shop Craigs list, take your time and carefully piece a system together, you can get something very nice for around 1K plus a receiver. However, this is for heritage speakers and they do take up a lot of floor space (and room space in general!) but the sound can't be beat.

Check out the link in the above post to see what Klipsch offers that might fit into your budget.

You might like to check out the Klipsch HD theater 500 home theater system with an MSRP of $600 LINK and something like the Yamaha RX-V 665 with an MSRP of about $550 with a setup like this, you will really be pretty high up on the food chain in home theater setups, esp when you are looking at HTIB setups.