What rears and center is best?

CHASLS2

Hi all, i am new to the group.

I am looking to buy some rears for my bedroom setup. This will be for a 12x 16' bedroom. I have a Pioneer 50" Kuro 5020DF. I just picked up a set of used Klipsch SF-3 floor speakers this weekend for $180 for my fronts. I have a Sony STRDH800 receiver. I notice with many sound settings on the Sony 800 receiver i get great sound effects but can't hear people's voice at all or very little, and in 2.1 mode i get very good sound and can hear people talk just fine, but my sub wont work in 2.1 mode. Maybe the lack of a center speaker is the cause of not hearing people talk on some sound settings?

I am using a 2004 Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI and a Tosh A-20 HD- DVD players thru HDMI.

My question is. Not having a center speaker the reason for not hearing people's voices in some sound settings ? And what would be a good set of rear speakers for under $500. Also i am looking to buy a smaller center speaker to place in front of my 50" Kuro stand, and would like to know what you people would pick for a smaller center speaker?

your issue has nothing to do with rear channels. since you have just 2 front main speakers you should stay on the setting "stereo" more than anything. you should be fine. i just did an install with the rb-61's and a sub and it didn't lack anything. you could also have the set up, not set up correctly. did you use an SPL meter to balance out the mains? did you check all the settings on the receiver? you might have something turned on or off that's effecting it. in a 2.1 set up you shouldn't be conserned about sound effects, all the sound is going to be comming from the front, included the rear sound information.

I know the rears have nothing to do with me hearing people talk on some sound settings. As i said in 2.1 mode the sound effects are very good and i hear people talking just fine. I just picked up the receiver this weekend as a open box item . It is missing the auto cal mic. I would hope with the center speaker and rears i would get better overall sound.

Since you have Synergy front speakers you'll want something from the Synergy line as a center speaker. Since you have the SF-3 I'd recommend a SC-3 as was previously posted. Otherwise you could go smaller to the SC-1. Search eBay and craigslist and you might get lucky since they are discontinued models.

The dimensions of the SC-1 are 6.5" (16.5cm) x 18" (45.72cm) x 7.5" (19.1cm) and the SC-3 is 7.9" (20.1cm) x 22.9" (58.2cm) x 9" (22.8cm)

**Note that the SC-3 is going to be voice matched to your SF-3s better than the SC-1 is.

Here's an SC-1 on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Synergy-SC-1-Center-Speaker_W0QQitemZ280399739330QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item41492079c2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

There's another one on eBay for $75 buy-it-now but it looks really rough and has a lot of holes drilled in it from how it was mounted.