Sunfire MKII

aab3rd

I have a chance to buy a Sunfire MKII from a (former) dealer for $800. It is a demo but will have a new waranty. I know that this will go lower than my KSW200 but will it be less boomy and how is it for music? Also, should I use it in conjunction with the KSW or replace the KSW with the MKII. If used in conjunction, would it be OK to set the Sunfire on top of the KSW.

Ears, I know you have one of these (I think). At least you have the other Sunfire models as well as the Carver so your opinion would be greatly appreciated here. For $800 I do not think I can go wrong.

Any and all other opinions will be appreciated as well!

TheEar(s) isn't the only one of us out here to appreciate Bob (Carver)'s little monster! I have an original True Sub, predesessor to the Mk2. While it might not be the most musical sub out there, it will give exceptional out put down to very low freqs. Properly place in a corner and aligned for phase, it is easily capable of knocking all manner of knicknacks off the bookshelf! cwm4.gif

aab3rd,

To answer this...

"I have a chance to buy a Sunfire MKII from a (former) dealer for $800. It is a demo but will have a new waranty. I know that this will go lower than my KSW200 but will it be less boomy and how is it for music? Also, should I use it in conjunction with the KSW or replace the KSW with the MKII. If used in conjunction, would it be OK to set the Sunfire on top of the KSW."

For $800 the Sunfire Mark II is a incredible deal,and full warranty.BUY IT

Does it go lower than the KSW200? You bet it does and how.The Mark II leaves the Klipsch 12" subs and almost all the 15" in the dust around 20Hz.In the DUST

I would only use the Mark II,I dont mix the boomy KSW's with my Sunfires and larger high end subs.

The MarII is not boomy at all,and when set up right it will impress the goofballs who trashed this sub because it needs time to set right.

And dont set the Sunfire on the Klipsch sub,the Sunfire should sit on the floor near a wall(in a corner or even better alongside the front wall).

Again at only $800 get the Sunfire,its a great deal.

As the owner of all the Sunfire subs and the Carver sub I can say these do perform.And I have plenty of larger subs too and compared them to almost anything out there.

Partaymon,

"TheEar(s) isn't the only one of us out here to appreciate Bob (Carver)'s little monster!"

Damn right,there are those with a nose for quality and value out there. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 03-03-2002 at 11:59 PM

To throw a kink into things, I saw on SVSs web site last nite that they have a new powered sub line-up with a 350 watt amp. Which would be better for HT and music---Sunfire MKII or 2039PCi. The SVS is about $150 cheaper (tax here vs. shipping should cancel out).

The answer is very easy,the SVS has more output.The SVS is also much much larger(the footprint BS aside)and will give MORE bass.

I had two SVS Ultras powered by a 1KW RMS per channel power amp and I know SVS cannot be beat for output/cost.

As for compact subs,Sunfire created the market and has impressive output and real low sub bass in a tiny package.

I will not sell my Sunfires to get SVS or HSU.I will simply add SVS.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I am not in need of a lot of output since my wife (and dogs) do not like to listen to music and movies above approx 70 db (mabe 75 for music). Therefore either one would do as far as SPL. What I am looking for is clean, tight bass, therefore I still leave the question hanging as far as SVS 2039PCi vs. Sunfire MKII in this respect. Since I do not have a lot of (read ANY) experience with other subs as compared to my KSW200 I look to others for advice and guidance.

This is the way I see it:

SVS 2039PCi---Pros-Less expensive Cons-size vs Sunfire

Sunfire---reverse avove

Determining factor---clean tight bass for movies and music until I have a music only system where I will have a dedicated sub say down to 25 hz (svs 2531 or smaller box sub good for music (Rel Q150e?))

If music is your thing and HT secondary may I guide you towards the REL Q200E.Almost identical driver as the active Sunfire Mark II in a sealed cabinet powered by a punchy Mosfet 200W RMS amp.

Very ahem "musical" sub,good to about 25Hz,below 25 it falls down very sharply.

However the Sunfire Mark II costs less and has solid bass down to 20Hz,more output and still is a great choice with larger tower speakers.The Sunfire Mark II does not climb as high as the REL Q200E,this is why its not as "musical".No upper bass in Sunfires.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks Ears for the continued help!

Actually right now I am looking at replacing my KSW200 with a sub that is good for both HT and music (with more of an emphasis on HT). Later I will get a sub only used for music and the sub I buy now (SVS or Sunfire) will only be used for HT. That is why I am looking at the Sunfire for $800 or the SVS 2039PCi for $650. whichever one BEST does HT AND music right now will get the nod. Both of these will dig deep enough for me on HT but not so deep that I will not enjoy music (where I like less deep bass-but accurate bass).

FYI the music sub will be used with a tube amp and a pair of RB5s with a dedicated CD player therefore the notion of a REL sub which I have heard is good for music.

A great "musical" sub is the M&K 700 and THX350.Two great subs,the THX350 uses two 12" drivers and delivers some dry and fast bass,it goes down deep too,20Hz with some good output.

The M&K 700 is very Sunfire and Velodyne SPL like,its tiny,and it delivers a BIG impact.This one is good down to 25Hz,I would say from 35Hz and up is hits like a heavyweight.

Or get a sub great for HT and music,the Velodyne HGS18.

The ideal choices would be the Aerial SW12 or JBL Ti-K subs.The bad...price.At over 5 grand(USD)apiece these are hefty on the wallet.They are simply five star on music and will drop a boulder on ya used as HT subs.

The JBL Ti-K hits close to 120dB at 30Hz!That is sick,the Aerial will hit around 116 at 30Hz but goes deeper and is still capable of over 105dB in room at 16Hz(in my room)!

All one can say is WOW.The Aerial or the Ti-K are not huge at all.Just gorgeous subs,robust heavy duty drivers(the JBL Ti-K driver is a legend,JBL in all its glory).

Here see what you did I went off road and started to bark about high end subs.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Sunfire and all I can say is WOW! This little beast is awsome. It is a lot "tighter" that my KSW 200 and really digs deep.

Not to mention the appeal to the WAF for sizecwm38.gif.

Does any one want to buy a KSW 200 for $225 plus shipping?

aab3rd,

GREAT CHOICE!

Way to go.Now you can feel the power of the magic Sunflower sub.

Sunfire subs go deep and maintain high output down low,most start strong and take a dive in SPL as they attempt to reach the bowels of deep bass.Few subs do this(SVS,Aerial and Revel are in this group too).

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears