Somebody explain "HT Pass-through" to me

jhoak

I'm not real sure if this belongs in the HT area or the 2 channel area. Let's start here. Note to moderators: If you feel that this should be moved PLEASE do so.

I have not the space nor the means to have both a dedicated 2 channel system AND a 5.1 HT system. I've been looking at some of the HT Pre/Pro pieces and I frequently come across the term "HT Pass-Through". Given that I'm certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed I just can't wrap my brain around how this would hook up.

What I would like to end up with is (a) a nice 2 channel system with tube main amps AND (B) a decent 5.1 HT system for movie nights.

As a FYI the current hardware is a pair of Cornscalas as mains, an Academy at center and a pair of Heresys as surrounds. Bringing up the "bottom" is a custom built IB subwoofer driven by a Berhinger EP2500 amp. The main Pre/Pro/Amp is a Pioneer Elite receiver though I'm currently shopping 5 and 7 channel amps. I'm a bit partial to Emotiva and Outlaw so I suspect that I'll end up with one of them at the front end.

Possible?