Amp recommendations for Heritage - K-horn mains, LaScala II center and Heresy rear

Ed Cook

Would appreciate recommendations for amplifiers to use with K-horn mains, LaScala II center and Heresy rears.

Drove 1972 K-horns with McIntosh MC-250 for many years.

Tried Denon amp (don't recall which model) when I expanded to a 5.1 system consisting of K-horns and some lesser Klipsch "bookshelf" rears and center. So-so imression.

Seemed to me to be a significant improvement when I replaced the Denon with an Outlaw 7100 with that setup.

Now still using the Outlaw but have changed to a LaScala II center, Heresy rears and Outlaw LFM sub.

Recently updated all the K-horn components using the current Klipsch kits for crossovers, midrange drivers and tweeters plus a supertweeter.

(An intermediate period with Crites' crossovers and tweeter left me not fully satisfied - so I updated with all-Klipsch components to try to get the K-horns and the LaScala sharing as many modern components as possible and, hopefully, sounding as alike as possible.)

I'm not necessarliy dissatisfied now, but the many audio forums such as these are all driven by folks who are never fully satisfied and who are driven in turn to wonder what else they might want to know and how they might improve their setup. Thus, I'm now wondering if I should be considering improvements to the amps. I have read all kinds of articles and reviews but cannot tell even which types of amp designs are most appropriate for these speakers - since these speakers have very different characteristics from the speakers with which most reviewers test their amps.

Thanks,

Ed Cook

I believe the answer lies in your post itself. The answer is going to be what you like. There is no universal solution. Many will argue tubes vs solid state. Many will argue brands or price as some magical key to quality and suitability. It may take a long time, or it may happen quickly. You should at the least, listen to the various types, makes, models as you get a chance. You might find that to your ears, a particular amp sounds great with the Klipschorns, but not with the LaScala or the Heresy's.

Don't you just love a mid-life "audio" crisis.... [H]

Many folks are happy with B&K, McIntosh, NAD, Carver and Sherbourn to name a few. I run a Sherbourn 7/2100A which is a 7 channel true mono block monster weighing in at 115lbs. I reluctantly replaced a pair of rare DBX BX-1 configurable power amplifiers with the single amp but I have been pleased.

We all hear and interpret sound differently so you need to go out a listen to some amps to see what best suits you as Groom already mentioned.

I bet I'm in the minority again --- but it is perfectly OK to ask for amp reccomendations but it is kind of fruitless unless you state what preamp you are using and what you liked and disliked with your current and previous setups.

Actually I have found that all humans hear pretty much alike. It is the ego and non audio related things that separate you from a truly good system. To avoid this completely you should enlist the help of non audiophiles as you listen and make sure you are not trying to steer their taste by making silly audiophile comments.