NEW MUSIC

BigStewMan

One of the benefits of a 1984 decision to listen exclusively to my record collection is that now that i've decided to "broaden my horizons," there is so much music that is new to me. Embarrassing at times when I tell someone of this "new" group I heard, only to find out that they broke up 10 years ago. Oh well. iTunes Genius recommends music, and I've actually found many groups that I enjoy now. Don't know how long they've been around; but, We the Kings and The Decemberists are two groups that I really like now. I guess since I don't Twitter, Facebook, or Myspace--I figured I'd tell you guys. --Steve--

You are discovering something that I've already known for the past ten years or so! (how I miss the old MP3.com website).

I've made EXTENSIVE use of the internet, especially my eMusic account as well as surfing forums that discuss the type of music that I am intrested in. I've found all kinds of new to me (as well as actual, brand-new, bands) that I would've never have known about if I stuck with the "traditional" channels, ala FM radio or the TV. For example, just discovered that a band called Metalium, of which I am a huge fan of, has just released a brand-new album, which I was able to grab from eMusic. Another example is that I just discovered another band called Loch Vostock this past weekend. Some kick-*** music there!

Once you get outside of the "normal" channels and really go out there looking, you will find that there is a TON of excellent music, by some extremely talanted artists, in all kinds of genres, out there. Many of whom, unfortunatly, don't get the credit and/or exposure that they so deserve.

In addition to iTunes, I would also highly recommend checking out LaLa.com. eMusic is another one that is worth checking out (although I don't care so much for thier subscription-like price structure, but I have obtained a TON of excellent music on there over the past few years).

Hi Steve, I've been doing some listening to The Decemberists as well. It's hard to describe them in print. Lyrically, they're like nobody else. The drummer can do a mean backbeat. Studio production is stellar. This band is one of the nicest surprises to come along in a long while. And they come from Portland, Oregon of all places, not some misty coalsmokey English wold. My favourite tune is Crane Wife 1 and 2. The tune builds from a folky ballad and shifts into a rocker really smoothly. And there's some bass and acoustic riffs in there that are rare ear candy.

If you haven't listened to it, Dido's "Safe Trip Home' might be worth your while. She's got a sound that's all of her own. A lot of emotion in some of her tracks. Brian Eno and Mick Fleetwood are on her team, so the production is state of the art.

Anyway, I'll check out We the Kings.

But first, a trip to see Mr. Glen Morangie.

Slainte. Hamish

i'll check out dido--thanks for the tip.

i like we the king's songs Secret Valentine and Check Yes Juliet. Possibly because the lyrics ring very true for me. I only have a few Decemberist's songs in my music library, i will have to get the Crane's wife songs.

Take care.